Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Editing Movies

Having time on my hands, I’ve been looking for new challenges.  For the last couple days I’ve been experimenting with video editing.  I’ve come to understand that certain videos will only play on their default software but I’d never really stopped to consider just how many video formats there are. 

 

Within formats there are video and audio compression codices, bit rates, screen sizes and ratios, frames per second, resolution…  So far I’ve just been playing with the software but if I get serious I’m going to have to read the directions!  So far I’ve figured out that as with most things there are no rights and wrongs; just decisions as to which compromises you want to choose.  If you want to produce a movie with no compression you’d better have terabytes of disc space. 

 

I have the software provided by ULead, Nero Vision, and Windows Movie Maker—if the latter is as user-friendly as other Microsoft products I’ll pass.  Guess I should have gotten Adobe’s Video programme when I bought Photoshop Elements 4.  Any advice out there?

 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge