Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Just How Broken Is Windows?

At the risk of being boring I’m going to revisit an old rant.  Over an hour ago I innocently opened my E-mail and read a cyber-alert regarding a necessary Windows Update.  When I ran Windows Update I discovered that my system required 28 MB of updates.  In effect, I’ve just installed an entirely new version of Windows.  If I’m not mistaken the entire Windows 98 operating system wasn’t much bigger than that!  No wonder Bill’s Boys in Redmond are so far behind in writing Windows Vista; they’re too busy writing repairs to keep the present OS limping along.  Make two guesses as to how fast Windows XP gets retired permanently once Vista comes out? 

 

If Windows gets much more bloated my present system will be inadequate to operate it much less do anything else.  As it is I had to hack into the system to disable all the new unnecessary services the new updates enabled by default.  If I hadn’t I wouldn’t have had any memory left to open Word.  Now that I’ve done all that and gotten that rant out of the way I’ll got back to the tasks I intended to get to an hour ago. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge