Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Another Rant about Software Providers

<Just out of interest the automated response I got from the particular company to which I sent the E-mail upon which this rant is based identified my letter as spam.  A pox on all your houses.>

 

Just once, I wish a company would make it clear when a customer updates or upgrades their software whether:

 

  1. The old software must be manually removed

 

  1. The new version will un-install the old version

 

  1. The new version will install over the old

 

  1. Special software must be downloaded to ensure all vestiges of the old software have been removed from the program folder and the registry.  As is the case with Nero or Norton for example.

 

A thorough search often yields no information on this subject.  It would seem techies feel no need to share this kind of information with mere mortals. 

 

While I’m on a tear I’d comment that I also lose patience with installation processes that want to go online to update the software and update definitions and/or register the software.  In the first place why should I have to update software I just finished downloading; why wasn’t it properly written in the first place?  When I install software I reboot without starting programs so that backup, firewall, and virus-ware programmes do not interfere with the installation process.  Therefore in today’s dangerous environment on the net I am ill-advised to go online totally unprotected.  Furthermore many companies’ updater softwares do not seem to understand ASDL internet access and cannot recognize that I am online in any case. 

 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge