Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Autumn's Here Indeed

If there was any doubt that the fall season was upon us it was dispelled last night when the outside temperature dropped to almost freezing levels.  For the first time since last April I switched my furnace from Air Conditioning to Heat mid-evening when I started feeling chilly in bed.  It was when I awoke in the wee hours this morning feeling cold that I realized that the furnace fan was still running but the burners had not kicked in.  Time to break out an extra quilt.  This morning I fiddled with the gas valve and the burners kicked in.  Makes it more comfortable taking a bath when the temperature’s above 68ยบ F. 

 

Although rush hour at funeral homes is Christmas and Early Spring there have been a lot of notable deaths lately.  You may have read of the passing of the ultra-realist painter Ken Danby.  I’ve always questioned why one would want to do what a camera does but having seen a Glen Loates original of a hawk with its wings spread I know that no camera could capture the amount of detail a skilled artist is capable of generating.  In the case of the hawk every barb on each feather was visible and the mystery of how Velcro works was plainly visible. The second recent death, at 88, is that of the TV evangelist Rex Humbard.  Credited with building the first church dedicated to the promulgation of religious programming on TV he boasted that his program was the most widely broadcast program in North America.  If religion be the opiate of the people televangelists prey on the aged and infirm fleecing them through requests for donations of moneys they can ill afford to waste. 

 

For those who may be interested in how computers are built here is an excellent to building a PC:

 

http://tools.corsairmemory.com/systembuild/print.aspx?report_id=12472

 

Just in case reading this makes you curious remember that opening up the case of your computer before the warrantee has expired voids that warranty. 

 

Here’s a tip from a Post Office professional.  If you’ve filed a change of address and haven’t been successful in persuading all your correspondents to change their records remember that to extend that change of address you must renew it at least 10 days before its expiry date.  The expiry date is 6 months to the day from the date the change became effective and is located on the top line of each and every yellow sticker that is used to forward your mail.  The day after a permanent change expires every piece of mail that arrives will be returned to sender.  The exception is a temporary change which upon expiration will send the mail to the original address. 

 

Once again I’m thankful that Bill Gates doesn’t build cars.  Tuesday was Microsoft Update day and as usual Redmond issued a new series of broken fixes in its continuing attempt to keep its operating systems afloat.  I believe it was Thursday I discovered a problem when I started typing in my browser’s search bar and with the entry of the first letter my browser promptly crashed and did so each and every time.  This morning Maxthon had a fix for the classic version of my browser; the new improved version 2 unfortunately crashes upon loading without exception.  Apparently they’re still working on it. 

 

This afternoon I will be making a drive to Mississauga as there was a faulty menu on the first disk of the Series, Jericho, I picked up on October 2—my local store still doesn’t have any in stock so I’ll have to make the trip to Hazel’s City.   While I’m there I’ll probably have a look at laptops.  When I begin trekking next fall I’ll need to have one so its time to start looking.  I may also look at a new backup external hard drive; my present drive is almost full and with 600 GB of drive space I need more backup space.  Who’d a thunk that I’d be thinking about a Terabyte of disk space—that’s 1000 Gigabytes if you weren’t aware. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge