Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Daily Rant 2009-01-07

January 7

Time was when going for a bike ride was simply a matter of walking out the door and hopping on your two-wheeler. Alas, nothing in the 21st Century is that simple. For most people the first step is all about getting into the right skin-tight spandex gear, then the right shoes, the pant guards, and the helmet. I may dispense with the spandex but since I bought an electric motor assisted bike every ride begins and ends with installing or removing and charging the battery. Such bikes come with a set of two extra keys to add to the RV or house keys. Next step is the bike lock after the bike cover is removed and put away. Getting a bike on and off a car stand is quite another performance. Get on the bike, insert key in controller lock and finally we're good to go—now where was it we planned to go?

Roads are paved around here which is an improvement over the loose gravel, mud, pot holes and washboard I was formerly accustomed to riding. There are even bike lanes in places—pity that's where they put grates and manhole covers.

I find it hard to believe that I'm quoting Ronald Regan but this isn't half bad:

Viewing the Economy

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." --Ronald Reagan

Word just corrected his spelling.

It's sunny again here in Austin and the A/C is attempting to keep up with the heat inside my home while the neighbours wander around in shorts and T's. I got up early and stripped and washed my bed so that I could hang it out on our communal washline to dry. Not only is it good for the environment, I saved 75¢, and my sheets are whiter and smell better as well. Yes the drier is 75¢ and the washer $1.00—no wonder the neighbours come over to do their washing here.

While I had everything torn up decided to houseclean. Put DVD's and CD's I've finished using away in deep storage and re-organized my stores. Now I won't be able to find anything but I've more room. I also need to do some more work sorting through the tourist bumph I've collected deciding what's valuable enough to cart around with me and what needs pitching. It doesn't seem to take long for it to start adding up to a great deal of weight.

January 8

Last night I was reminded as to why allergy sufferers are advised to use indoor dryers rather than outside washlines. My bedding picked up pollen which caused me some distress. The sheets felt wonderful for their day in the sun and wind though.

Guess I'm going to have to make it a practice to set up my coffeemaker the night before. It's difficult to credit this but I'm finding it difficult to keep track of 4 scoops of coffee grounds first thing in the morning.

Yesterday took my new bike back to Alien Scooters in Austin for repairs. Apparently the chain which broke on me had too many links and the derailers needed aligning. Somehow it seems to me they should have checked these things before they sold it me rather than wait for the bike to break down and strand the rider miles from home.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge