Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Time for a Rant

“Middle age is when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy.”

Since October Sixth I’ve been on the road and often with less than optimal or no Wi-Fi access so I’ve some catching up to do. I’ll begin with a few more observations.

From Stuart McLean on the Vinyl Cafe I learn that the lobster outlet in Robert L Standfield International Airport, (Halifax), has been using one-pound packages of frozen peas to keep their lobsters fresh since security concerns led to the banning of gel-packs from onboard hand-luggage.

Jean Auel's sixth book in the Earth Children Series The Land of Painted Caves comes out March 29, 2011. The last book in the series appeared in 2005.

Whether it be exposure to drugs and hormones in our food and environment or other causes boys are reaching puberty at an ever younger age and this may be endangering the future of the boy soprano voice and repetoire as boy's voices are maturing before the boys have the opportunity to learn sufficient musical skills to sing the parts. Choirs such as that at Saint John’s College Cambridge are becoming endangered entities. In Renaissance times the problem was solved by creating castrati choirs but no one is suggesting that as a solution today.

Re-useable grocery bags need to be washed or they may spread disease. Something that until the bags got to be disgusting never occurred to this bachelor.

Largest great white shark caught in a fishing weir off the New Brunswick coast.

Since Bell Canada’s Sympatico began rejected G-mail I have had to switch my outgoing E-mail Server to Yahoo. Just what kind of internet warfare is involved there I’m not sure but as someone sending mail on the road I have no option but to use an online server.
Do I attract rain? Not that I’d admit but I seem to end up in locations where abnormal amounts tend to occur. There was my trip a year ago last spring up the Pacific Coast Highway; my visit to Newfoundland this spring for the coldest, wettest seaon on record; and this fall the wonder of seeing water laying in the fields in the semi-arid Palliser Triangle. I now find myself in the near desert region of Wyoming/Colorado amid rain, thunder and winds. 

One more. Be it resolved that I will never again enter a campground that utilizes Wi-Fi-RV Internet Service. A more niggardly enterprise you never want to meet. They charge $5.95 AMD for 75 MB of bandwidth, for the record that barely allows me to download my E-mail after I’ve been off-line for a day’s driving.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge