Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Friday, November 12, 2010

Ruminations, November 2010

Whether or not the 16-year-old Omar Khadr was a hardened terrorist what do we think 10 years in the Hell-Hole that was Gitmo did to him?

 

The November 2nd Mid-Term Elections. What happened to Barak Obama? Were the expectations placed upon his presidency impossible for anyone to fulfil? Did he inherit the mantle at a time when any president was destined to fail? In focusing on the business of governance did he lose touch with his electorate? Will there ever be an appropriate economic period in which to implement the social and environmental reforms that make up the Liberal Democrat Agenda? Did the people who formed the network that got him elected fail to keep up the communication once they’d gotten him in office? Is he destined to become a one-term  president or can he pull it out of the fire?

 

How can gasoline prices vary by 50¢ a gallon at stations a thousand feet apart? For me that’s a nearly $10 difference on a fill-up.

 

On the subject of gasoline it was the campground caretaker at Old MacDonalds Resort near Stettler Alberta that informed me that at an American gas pump that requires a zip code someone with a Canadian Credit Card can enter the 3 numbers of our postal code followed by two zeros—it works! And here it’s taken me 27 months of travel to finally discover that fact.

 

When driving in the mountains I’ve discovered it’s important to loosen the screw tops on all pump type containers, the change of air pressure outside tends to cause a mess when the contents get pressured from inside.

 

KOA seems to prefer to have its Kampgrounds located close to major highways as if it thinks that RV’ers won’t find them unless they can see them, a rather insulting approach to marketing and outdated given the construction of modern highways. Interstates keep limiting access to highways therefore by the time I finally saw the park I wanted to visit today it was a ten mile drive before I could finally get there. Placing campgrounds beside busy highways, next to railways tracks and airports does nothing to improve the camping experience.

 

I just noticed that the salsa I picked up in CaƱon City was produced in Mexico. Given that it is considered unsafe to drink the water or eat raw fruits and vegetables there how are the products exported from the country safer.

 

Having had kamikaze cyclists demand a group of hikers I was leading through a conservation area get out of their way while they tore through a bed of rare and endangered Maiden-Hair Fern I  have little sympathy for the protagonist of the movie 127 whose exploits are exhibited in the preview to the movie. The damage such eco-terrorists generate in their headlong drive for bigger and better thrills is manifold and unnecessary. At the speed they’re going they have no chance to appreciate the territory they’re crossing or any appreciation of the damage they’re causing. You’ll have to forgive me for a less than charitable thought that somehow it seems in this case the wild lands got some of their own back.

 

When I pulled into Abilene yesterday it was warm enough that I had the A/C running to keep the driver alert. After an abnormally warm October in the north I headed south into the mountains where a prolonged Indian Summer kept things warmer than normal but when you camp at 7000 ft one cannot be surprised at frost. However as I travel further and further south and lose altitude things are warming up but it was last night I heard the crickets chirp all night, left my windows open, took off my quilt, and put on my light nightshirt. Wouldn’t you know it a cold front today brought wind-driven squalls of rain and dank air.

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge