Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Rain Over Nashville

The rain began my second full day in Nashville and lasted on and off with thundershowers until the weekend. On Wednesday I made the fateful decision to try out the Cock of the Walk next door and had an allergic reaction to something in the food that sent me home to bed with bloating and discomfort. I missed the oldies concert that night. Thursday I discovered clumps of hives on my back; guess I’ll not eat there again. Decided I wasn’t all that interested in a Willie Nelson Tribute Concert either. I could go see the real thing in Austin if I really wanted to.

Saturday morning there was a complimentary breakfast here at the campground--pancakes and sausage patties, fruit punch and coffee--the coffee was actually very good--the urn makes good coffee. That evening the Grand Ole Opry. On Sunday I walked up to the corner 3 miles round trip to check out the strip up to the Grand Ole Opry entrance. Two more campgrounds: Two Rivers and Yogibear and no less than three RV sales and service centres. On the opposite side of the road is a 6-lane freeway--I now have an intimate knowledge of engine brakes. What one fails to notice when driving by on a bus is the amount of farmer’s fields and bush that still remain. Lost count of the number of Inns, Motels, and Hotels but there's a parcel of them; seemed like we stopped at em all on the way to the Opry on Saturday.

Although I saw signs for the highly recommended Showney’s I just couldn’t find it. When I asked at the Grayline office I was told cross the parkway. Well it wasn’t the other side of the highway but I did find it. The brunch buffet held Chowder and cornbread, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs and mushroom, strips of french toast and sauce, bacon and chicken fried chicken, salad, and fruit salad. The coffee was good as well. Somehow I defeated the purpose of my walk.

Sunday Evening after a long afternoon nap loaded up my laundry and went up to the Main Building for Spaghetti and Meatball while the wash churned next door. While the clothes dried took in a concert at the Barn--Oldies sung to a Karaoke Machine and Johnny Counterfeit doing imitations. Took off just after dawn next morning.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge