Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Trekking South

Ready or not I departed Oakville at 3:30 AM Saturday, November 12th. When on the road among overnight truckers I’ve discovered it is not wise to slow down for speed zones with a transport on your tail. At 5:30 AM customs agents lack any sense of humour. I crossed at the Bluewater Bridge west of Sarnia and headed west through Michigan, seeing snow West of Flint was a might unsettling.

 

Spent a night in Michigan City, Indiana before skirting Chicago and heading south into Illinois against a 40-mph headwind. After nearly 800 miles stayed over in an ancient campground in Mt Vernon, Illinois. The American Coots on the small pond seemed only appropriate. Set out for Memphis passing through Missouri and Arkansas in driving rain. Memphis was a welcome sight until the power failed just as I finished getting set up. As the rain continued I gave up on Elvis. Made the 250-mile hop to Texarkana with a stop for gas and lunch in Arkansas. Had not realized the state line splits Texarkana in two. When I arrived discovered a newly configured interchange which made my campground a place you can’t get to from here. After a grocery stop figured it out and spent a quiet night before setting off for the final jaunt to Austin. Stopped south-east of Dallas for fuel and made Austin by 2:15.

 

My camping arrangement here is not what I’d been led to expect. Ministers it seems are not big on details. Being parked opposite the church is a mixed blessing. On the one hand it’s convenient, on the other hand it can be too convenient. Already I’ve been co-opted deeply into the life of the church. I’ve yet to sort out bicycle maintenance, shopping, dumping my tanks, laundry….

 

So far I’ve been invited out for three meals though I lack an invite for American Thanksgiving so far. I’ve stood in at an Occupy Austin rally and been talked to death, visited the Food Bank, and the recycle centre. Visited three senior’s centres and various and sundry other errands. I’m thankful today for one free of commitments.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge