Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

May Days Rant

Because my Mother was encouraged to use formula rather than breast feed I was probably predisposed to develop allergies. The sugar and salt unnecessarily added to baby foods sets our palettes to desire sweet and salty foods. The fact that I grew up on the East Coast with soft water means my teeth are softer and the prevalence of Gold in the rocks there also means there’s arsenic in the water. The fact that I now live in a concrete building exposes me to more background radiation and the ‘city’ I live in exposes me to more background noise and pollution.

Every time we turn around we read of another food source that is good for us or bad for us. Can anyone drink enough green tea, eat enough oatmeal, blueberries, or drink enough water to stay healthy. Sitting too long is bad for us, milk, coffee, bread, salt, and now sugar are the great no, nos. The same people who rail against frankenfoods probably drink bottled water in plastic, a major source of dioxins. They also probably complain about the price of gasoline while paying even more for that filtered tap water that has sat who knows how long in a warehouse.

Life is a fatal disease. We all die from it. Our planet is slowly or rapidly dying because there are too many of us. Worry is bad for our health just as is having a high BMI. So let’s take all things in moderation, take that morning walk though not too early if you have allergies, sit for a while and meditate, breath deeply for at least 5 minutes, and take that afternoon nap. It isn’t afternoon yet but I believe I’ll go back to bed and read the comix. Laughter is good for the soul.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge