Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, April 05, 2015

Nashville


Entering Nashville from the Northern Terminus of the Natchez Trace is not a comforting experience. I did not stop at the Loveless Café Complex or Andrew Jackson’s mansion, the Hermitage. The number of traffic lights and interchanges to be negotiated is intimidating. The fact that I’d asked my GPS to stay off Expressways on the Trace may have been a factor in my trip through downtown.

Arriving on Music Valley Dr in the middle of a thunderstorm did not help matters and discovering my favourite KOA might not have room for me and could not offer me Wi-Fi was a definite turn-off. Fortunately Two Rivers next door did have room and their Wi-Fi has worked fine. The heavy weather persisted for the next 36 hours culminating in a tornado watch. Luckily the worst we experienced here was horizontal rain, gusting winds, heavy rain, and a touch of hale. To put a positive spin on matters I got my RV scrubbed clean for free and the Campground couldn’t complain about it. Catching up online kept me busy. With all the windows closed I was thankful for A/C.

Saturday dawned clear and cooler. I did not get up early to watch the moon eclipse. When I did get active walked over to KOA to talk to the Grayline Rep about a ticket to see the Grand Ole Opry that night. Stopped at Camping World to look at LED Lighting. The item I selected was not in their system and a comedy of errors ensued. I am not particularly impressed with Camping World.

Without an appearance by Minnie Pearl, faked or otherwise I did not feel properly welcomed to the Opry but someone else appeared to flog the $15 programs. An hour is a long time to sit and wait for a show but riding with Pat on Graylines is part of the fun. The stage crew are the Opry’s true stars and anyone strong enough to hand-hold a TV Camera steady gets my vote, the guy on our side was tall and thin. His maneuvers made my knees ache. The majority of the acts Saturday Night were up and comers. What do they feed those tall skinny guys to give them those deep basso profundo voices. Some of them did almost everything but break dance on stage. The Opry’s male dancers looked old enough to need walkers once they got off-stage. The sound was full without being over-loud and the screens front of house and backstage gave close-ups of the artists. The ads seemed less intrusive and more subtle than in past years--or am I getting inured to them.

I did not see frost Sunday Morning but a clear sky and a cold front dropped the temperature to near freezing. By noon my home was toasty but by evening the cloud-cover had returned. Perhaps I should have attempted to make it to church but sleeping in or at least remaining in bed until noon felt soooo good!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge