Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, December 07, 2015

Back in Austin, 2015

When I finally reached Austin on November 24th I didn't stop for gasoline being thankful to back into a driveway and settle into a spot where moving wasn't necessary. Ten days later I still haven't moved the van or been shopping for groceries, Monday, December 7th I expect to gas up and go shopping.

It rained the first week I was here and then turned cold, well cold for Austin. I finally got around to reading some of the books I'd had on hold and became available earlier than expected. I'm still in recovery mode from driving 2600 miles.

Day two in Austin had BBQ at Mann's Smokehouse to mark their final day and exchanged hugs with the owner, that evening was the youth-led Thanksgiving Service.

Thanksgiving Day was November 26th on which I was thankful for the company of my friends the Berrys and their Thanksgiving Table. The next couple days were spent staying dry and warm as I settled into my winter home and did some laundry.

Renewed acquaintance with friends at church on Sunday and sat to catch up online with my tablet during second service. Sunday afternoons tend to be quiet.

Last Monday I finally got online in earnest and caught up with my bills. The trip down cost me $1100.00, essentially gasoline and camping fees.

By Wednesday this past week the sun finally broke through the clouds and it has warmed up by day. I joined a good showing for the Newsletter Party—folding, sealing, and labelling. At noon I joined the worship group for coffee and cookies. That evening enjoyed chicken vegetable noodle soup, Holden Village Mass and choir practice. One practice for a piece we're to do on Sunday.

Thursday enjoyed more BBQ at Smokey Mo's in Round Rock with friend George, then off to see the round table rock in Brushey Creek that gave the place its name.

Friday evening, yesterday at time of writing joined Gethsemane Choir and 8 others for a Carol Fest at Saint Louis King of France Church in a benefit for Drive a Senior. The host was mercifully brief in offering comments. The singing was an experience as always. I enjoy the opportunity to sing with enthusiasm in a large crowd with great organ accompaniment.

Today, Saturday the 5th learned about Altar Guild and the duties appertaining. About time I was properly trained I suppose.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge