Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, July 02, 2018

Wending Homeward

Upon leaving Badlands I was 1525 miles from home. Having seen the major National Parks I came South to visit the remainder of this blog documents the drive home.

On the way to Sioux City took a break as I did last time at Al’s Oasis. It doesn’t aspire to the excesses of Wall Drug but it’s up there. Large parking lot and restaurant offering coffee for 5¢/cup had a long waiting line. Having passed several military convoys I found another parked in the lot. Sunshine Grocery offers a decent selection. The usual collection of schlock adjoins. I yielded to the temptation of a Cold Mountain Dew and a bag of Nacho-Flavoured Tortilla Chips.

Overnighted at Sioux Falls a KOA abutting I-90 which is never quiet. From there headed South on I-29 hitting heavy construction and enduring a 10-mile detour getting onto I-80 north of Omaha the East Bound onramp closed for unknown reasons. This wasn’t a long drive but some days it just seems so. The Iowa Welcome Centre turned me off when the doyen spent my entire visit complaining about his aches and pains.

Drove down to Winterset and got gas at an unmanned gas pump. The price was not as outrageous as my last visit. The roads haven’t improved either. Stopped next at Fareway and found many of the products I enjoyed last time no longer in stock. The aisles are uniquely arranged and signs can be somewhat quaint. The place did not live up to my past visits but a grocery boy took my bags out to my van as last time. 

 

Des Moines West KOA failed me. I had a reservation but was led to a site already occupied. I ended up on a tenting site in the back of beyond. A refund did little to placate me. Such treatment reflects badly on a park’s management style. I spent time reading and catching up on E-mail and blogging. Sunday morning walked up two drives in this ritzy rural estate enclave to Peace Lutheran Church. The modern air conditioned building with its folding chairs was no Little Brown Church in the Wildwood. Though not far from the Little Raccoon River in the middle of flat Iowa Corn Fields there was not forest. The young female pastor raced through her sermon and had us out of there in under half an hour. That afternoon I got my van washed by wind-drive hale and torrential rain. Since the area got a tornado warning the next day I suppose I came off lightly with only an inch of silt around my back tires the mud still adorning my entry.

Heavy Truck traffic on I-80 there being little more frustrating than being stuck behind two tractor trailers going close to the same speed attempting to pass one anther on a two lane stretch on an uphill grade. Mid-morning passed Rock Island where recent flooding brought back memories of the mosquitoes I encountered last time I stopped overnight there. Stopped for fuel and cleaned my windshield. Opted to avoid the tollway South of Chicago and ended up guided along Suburban City Streets under construction amid traffic lights and go slow signs. When I rejoined I-94 /I seemed to be the only vehicle on the highway doing the posted 55 speed limit and there being no cars stopped to get tickets traffic did not slow down.



I was annoyed once more to learn that Michigan City Campground insisted on upselling me a full service lot even though the one I wanted remained vacant for my entire stay. I resent being lied to. I did enjoy an afternoon swim in their new pool that I had all to myself. Spent most of my time reading. Walked about the park seeing Canada Geese beside the pond and a patch of blackberries up on the hill where the spring flowers were long spent and the season too dry to encourage may apples. We did get one night of distant thunder that wiped out the internet and the park’s phones.

Got off early on Thursday Morning and braved the Indiana Tollway and the Ohio Turnpike to the tune of $7.50 and $19.00—highway robbery. This stretch was not in bad shape. Busy Pennsylvania Welcome Centre was no help in finding camping. Ten mile traffic jam occasioned by a collision led me to take to side streets to get to the town of Erie.

 

Pulled into Sara’s Campground with considerable trepidation at 2:30 PM but was rewarded when Annie informed me she had a paved pad for me. I was introduced to he son and heir Jacob and said hello to Brian who was playing with a video gambling terminal that doled out a winner to a player the night before. Campsites in this park are crammed in but most of the resident population have held their sites for half a century. 




Hundreds camped out on the beach in tents. Spent some time talking to Jim the security guard in his little golf cart monitoring the entrance gate and walked down and talked some more with Richard at the corner who inherited his site from his uncle and has visited for 50 years.

Walked up to the nature centre but found it too warm to stick around. Found an antique coke bottle on my way home and turned it in to the gal at Sally’s Diner.




Later had a BBQ Chicken Salad and Curley Fries at Sara’s 50’s Diner run my Brian’s Brother I learn. Slurped an Orange/Vanilla Swirl Cone and liked it enough to have another next day. Ten Go Internet here was remarkably good. Got a few pix that last night of the sun over Lake Erie and walked over in the morning to visit with Brian and Annie and meet Rae their German Shepherd who manages to curl her bulk under Brian’s desk. But she’s Annie’s dog as her perked up ears demonstrated when she heard her mistress’ voice. 



Walked over in the evening to visit with Jacob. Conversations are interrupted by phone calls from people referred to other parks, the full sign posted on a cone at the entrance; and other calls for their attention. Their approach to customers may be relaxed and caring but make no mistake, this is one well-managed park.

Got off at 4:30 despite the truck blocking the most direct exit route, the remains of their fire from the night before smouldering 8 ft from my driver’s door. I’d filled up in Ohio the day I drove in and that gas saw me home. The New York Tollway cost me a further $6.25 USD in cash, the section through the reserve in horrible shape. The Peace Bridge was expanded to 3 marked lanes this time round and the customs agent was gracious and welcoming. The New York stretch of my drive was buggy beginning immediately as I passed the toll booth coming in. Still haven’t cleaned my windshield thoroughly. The bridge toll was $4.25 CDN, free going. Early on a Sunday Morning the QEW was quiet as I drove the remaining miles across the two skyways and made it home by 9:00 AM.

My parking spot had been rented out in my absence and was still occupied but I found alternate parking. Unloaded my fridge and took up the tub of collected brochures and guide books. I still haven’t checked out my Yellowstone Calendar. Better yet, after a soak in my bathtub I was able to join a Canada Day BBQ in the West Lot. Home I be in hot and muggy Oakville.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge