Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

I've Been Hacked!

What is it with Nigerians and cybercrime?  Since I joined My Space I’ve had at least 40 opportunities to assist down on their luck Nigerians in getting their money into Canada, 100 proposals of marriage, and friend requests from at least as many naked “ladies”.  Be that as it may in the last week someone from Nigeria has hacked into my E-mail account twice and changed my passwords.  The first time they attempted to borrow money from a development agency at the United Nations.  The second time they tried to establish an account at E-Bay.  Needless to say, I’ve been busy changing passwords. 

 

Must say I’ve always thought companies like Norton employed geeks under-the-table to write viruses and worms so that there would be a market for their anti-virus software.  Of course I now understand the terror potential if one of those organizations could infiltrate a financial institution, a stock exchange, or defence installation.  Even hijacking the traffic control computers for a city like New York could cause chaos.  Guess I don’t understand the criminal mind well enough to conceive of the motivation behind causing others inconvenience and pain just for the excitement of it.  But then, as the next entry I’m about to write will demonstrate, I don’t even support gambling either. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge