Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Pre-Retirement Angst

Just as I was leaving work yesterday got called upon to deliver a Priority Courier letter to a neighbourhood I serviced as a door to door Letter Carrier thirty years ago. Back then the trees were newly planted, one street was just being built, and the lawns newly laid out. A new high school had just been opened.

Today the high school has been moth-balled as the neighbourhood no longer has young people; houses are being built around its periphery. What really struck me as I drove in was how the trees have grown. They're still young as trees go but they're now providing shade.

Guess I'm still involved in navel gazing. I come from a line of people who are particularly long-lived. I'd have thought I was too old to be having a mid-life crisis but that's what it's starting to feel like. Or is it a pre-retirement crisis?

The first of a new phalanx of supervisors arrived at work today. Having limped along with two of them for the last 10 years we're suddenly about to have six of them breathing down our necks looking to make their mark on the place and justify their salaries. Suddenly I'm going to have to prove myself to people half my age and adjust to new ways of doing things. Thankfully the boss I've worked with the last 20 years is still around but retirement is suddenly looking like a viable option.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge