Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Taking a Winter Vacation

One of the questionable pleasures of air travel in the wake of 9/11 is the joy of being treated as if one is about to enter a maximum security penal institution at the airport. Number two is that it costs almost as much to get to and from the airport as the flight itself. Despite Spartan conditions I made it safely from Oakville to Halifax Region on the 17th of February and thanks to our pilot made the softest landing I can remember. Home is where we are accepted for who we are warts and all and there’s nothing like a warm fire to make one feel welcome.

I could, however have done without the other houseguests but isn’t he cute?

I’d arranged for the three of us—my Sister, Marguerite and Brother-in-Law, Richard to go to Halifax Feast Dinner Theatrethat Saturday night and discovered that Richard can’t go anywhere without running into work. The food was first class and we selected an excellent Merlot to go with it. The floor show was a take-off on the sitcom Cheers entitled Jeers and while no one could fault the actors’ musicianship thehumour was a bit raunchy for my taste.

http://www.feastdinnertheatre.com/index4.html

Sunday and time for church. Well, I was visiting the pillars of the congregation. Pastor Jim Slack, Jr. has aged a might since I knew him at Camp Mush-a-Mush at age 7. In the afternoon Richard and I took a long walk around the old Shubenacedie Canal Lock area.

We’d checked out the subdivision the day before. When we got back I was initiated into the joys of the Daytona 500—my Brother-in-Law is a mechanic after all. Those racers don’t so much drive those carsas wear them. Somehow it’s a young man’s game; I don’t particularly follow racing but most of the drivers seem to be atleast second-generation members of elite racing families. The finish was more like a demolition derby. When I got the chance I dipped into the Joudrey’s DVD collection.


Monday saw a blizzard hit the southern counties of Nova Scotia and although we were spared the worst in the Halifax area it was still a good day to be in by the fire. I spent time reading and fine-tuning my Brother-in-Law’s laptops. In fact, my efforts were so successful I got to work on at least four in all.


Tuesday, as pre-arranged Marguerite drove me to Bridgewater where we visited Bridgewater Mall for the “conveniences” and looked up Ganong’s Double-Thick Peppermints at Sobeys. At Ten I visited my Land Surveyor, a former schoolmate to learn about the hassles of being an absentee landowner of property that has never been accurately run. Business completed we went to visit my Father’s Sister, his junior by 10 years but now in her 87thyear. There’s some pleasure in knowing that one can still walk into a few homes unannounced and unexpected and be made welcome. I do wish that I lived closer to be able to listen to the ‘gossip’ more frequently. The drive to and from along Hwy 103 was remarkable for the incredible number of potholes on a major trunk route. The storm of the night before had coated the trees along the road on the side facing toward the Atlantic in snow.

Wednesday and a trip to Mic Mac Mall inDartmouth. No word on what the local First Nations people think of that appellation. Went looking for some locally available CD’s and found a couple prints by a local artist named Frank Boudreau; my picture framer will be happy.


http://www.frankboudreau.com

This being Ash Wednesday, we were back in Church by 7:30.

Thursday. What’s a vacation if one doesn’t get a chance to sleep in? Richard had taken the day off and we went for a walk in Point Pleasant Park. It’s one thing to have read the Hurricane Juan knocked down 360,000 trees in this one park; it’s another to see the devastation up close—the park was closed for months until it could be made safe.


After that bracing walk we had lunch at Your Father’s Moustache on Spring Garden Rd:

http://www.yourfathersmoustache.ca/

And a fine meal it was! I’d go back again anytime. After we examined the dubious wares of the Halifax Mall which was under going major renovations. Have you ever been accosted by a talking pylon? Closer to home I discovered abook I didn’t already own at the local Chapters and then checked out the Nova Scotia Liquor Commission’s flagship store. One of its features is six varieties of wine available for fill your ownbottling and sampling in store. We settled for some Keith’s Ale after walking the aisles. No one asked us for proof of age ID. After supper Richard and I took a long walk in the crisp clear night air and did some stargazing though a waxing moon made it impossible to see the Milky Way.

Friday and I got up to join Richard while hemade breakfast. Joined Marguerite as she accompanied Richard’s sister Annie to the airport. In the afternoon went for a long walk with my sister stopping to check out a local arts and crafts store. We went back later when we had cash to pickup a heart-shaped jute welcome mat. After supper a warm fire, pop corn and a movie were the order of the day.

Saturday. Taking a bath in a household that attempts to save on power in an electrically heated home is a challenge. I did survive. Richard drove me into Bedford for a tour of Wallace Equipment where he is the Service Manager. Did you know a tree harvester is run by no less than four computers; I certainly didn’t? Mid-afternoon we drove into Halifax and parked beside the Rebecca Cohn Auditorium—Dalhousie University’s Convocation Hall. Walked back up to Spring Garden Road and did some window shopping—an indoor mall seemed a good idea. On impulse settled on Ryan Duffy’s forDinner—and that was with a capital D.

http://www.ryanduffys.ca/RyanDuffys/index.asp

It’s one of those places with white damask tablecloths, crystal goblets, and silver service along with a Maitre D, wine steward, salad at your table creator, and steak cut to order from the side of beef. At least our waitress didn’t condescend to us.

At the price I expect it won’t be an experience I’ll want to repeat soon. Not exactly sated we walked back to the Cohn and found our way to front row balcony seats for the Ballet, Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev.

http://www.symphonynovascotia.ca/

The music of Symphony Nova Scotia was complimented by the Ballet Jorgen Troup’s dancing, sets, costumes and acting. The lack of legroom in that front row balcony seating served to ensure we stayed awake.

Where else would one go on a Sunday? And we also got to stay afterward for a potluck dinner. Ran into a neighbour from home in Midville Branch—Charlotte (Mailman) Conrad and we talked about her 94-year-old Father Herbert who has been living the lonely life of a widower. After helping with cleanup we hurried home so that Richard could rush to the airport to pick up his neighbour—the owner of the four-legged boarders. When he got back we took the path across the canal and walked through the “cottage country” on the opposite side of LakeFletcher. The sun felt good and with only a light breeze it almost felt warm in spots.

That evening was taken up by yet another Indy race while Richard checked out my efforts on one of his office laptops.

Monday. Took a drive to Bedford Place Mall with my sister but discovered that one mall looks pretty much like any other. The bookstore, which had done inventory the night before, looked like it had been hit by an earthquake. I was so bored I even spent time looking at Blackberries. Diverted myself with Joan of Arc and CalendarGirls in the afternoon. At Richard’s request we had turkey dinner. Richard helped make the stuffing the night before and along with cranberrieshand-picked on an island in Soldier’s Lake the repast was complete. Channel surfing was the order of the evening. Kurt Browning’s Stars on Ice and Little Mosque on the Prairies. OhWell!

Tuesday. Packed and ready to go. The morning paper—The Halifax Chronicle:

http://www.herald.ns.ca/

Followed by more reading by the stove. A brief walk to get the mail and get the blood moving and all too soon a drive to the airport. The check-in was very informal. Passed on buying Lobster but couldn’t resist browsing an Artist’s Co-op Kiosk in the main concourse. Even picked up a few art cards. Security was also a might more relaxed in Halifax and for the second time the departure lounge for my West Jet Flight wasright opposite the exit from security. I’m more used to a three-mile hike. Seating on a discount airline made the front-row seats at the Cohn seem roomy by comparison but the flight was smooth. The drive home in rush-hour traffic on a snowy evening was tense but free of major slow-downs.

The view out my window the next morning made meglad I had no crying need to go anywhere.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

Loved the photo's.
I see that winter has finally hit your part of the world.
Things are warming up here and I am sure I see spring on the way.
( well I keep telling myself this as more snow falls!!!)
Wanda

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge