Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Another Week Older

Spent last Saturday putzing around the house, listening to CD’s, and folding last week’s laundry. Doesn’t sound exciting, does it?

Somehow I’m beginning to regret having broken into buying MP3’s online but I’d be buying the CD’s anyway and most of the time I listen to them on this computer anyway. Mind you I’ve been waiting for 6 months or more for Amazon to come up with the Neal Finn CD I just downloaded. At least with downloads there is instant gratification. Now I just have to find time to listen to it. I did back it up right away though. Spent considerable time writing a letter to a perspective pen pal who contacted me at My Space and 6 days later I haven’t heard boo! That may have been a waste of my time but at least I had the challenge of clarifying my thinking. Trouble is the few people who do faithfully write are on vacation and for the rest written documents that don’t receive replies are publications not letters. Finished listening to the first Season of Buffy.

Monday morning comes early; especially when one’s day starts at 2:30 AM! Getting an afternoon nap assumes great importance when one didn’t get to sleep early the night before or have that nap on Sunday Afternoon. Getting that nap interrupted by two phone calls was not amusing.

Tuesday I got a day off work to help a friend move. Stayed after to re-assemble a computer; a bed; and drill holes in concrete for picture hanging. Coming home in traffic was a pain but bed felt good even if that nap was early evening. Finished the last episode of the last season of The OC.

Got a rude awakening on my way to work, Wednesday, when I came within a hair’s breath of running over a skate-boarding urchin dressed all in black sliding back and forth across 7 lanes of traffic at 3:30 AM totally oblivious to traffic. Somehow that kid has a death wish. The rest of the day was taken up with work-a-day events. Received word of the first 100 calls that will become our next Suburban Service Route. Having two fellow workers fired in less than a month does not reflect well on the rest of us nor does it paint a particularly good picture of the poeple who managed them; particularly when it was Security and Investigations that came in to do the dirty work. I did not sleep well again this night. Picked up Norton Anti-Virus 2007 on sale at Future Shop on my way home even though I’m good for 5 more months as at the price it’s 1/3 the cost of renewing the subscription to the present version next winter. I’m back watching the Waltons.

Thursday, after a typical day making work for myself as the summer slowdown left little for me to do dropped into East Side Marios for Dinner on my way home. They are busy at lunch time. Caught up on EYE and NOW while I waited. The manager dropped by to tell me his troubles.

Got a got out of jail early pass on Friday and came home; then had to drop by my doctor’s office for a BP check. Spent over an hour for what amounted to a 3 minute consultation during which he barely looked at me. I’ve known that Canada Post would be working July 21st to deliver Harry Potter since the release date was announced last March but it wasn’t until 18 hours before the event that Canada Post got around to asking me if I wanted to be involved in the event. It would seem there’s a law against advanced planning at mother corps. Apparently they don’t think their employees might make plans for a mid-summer weekend. I had no intention of getting up for 5 AM on my day off in any case to be a “Swift Owl” worker as Amazon has dubbed us. AND I definitely don’t want to be on the other end of the phone Monday morning when the people who were promised “delivery or it’s free” start calling. OUCH!

It’s early Saturday morning and I have a shopping list to prepare before I go shopping. Did my backups yesterday along with my malware scans so I’m good to go.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge