Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, December 31, 2007

Wrapping up 2007

Pardon me if I nod off while I write this.  The absence of any personal mail in my “In Box” tells me that the few people who would normally write are busy doing Christmassy activities.  Having lived a solitary life for over 40 years I am accustomed to keeping my own company; but this is the first Christmas I have spent entirely by myself.  Today’s the last day of 2007 and as the last few hours count down I find myself in a fey mood.  Tomorrow marks the last year of my working life.  Two Hundred and Thirty-Nine Days to go and counting.  If I’m in the write mood I’ll do my letter of resignation tomorrow.  I’ve always made it a habit to apply for my annual leave at least a month in advance so applying for retirement in the next couple weeks seems about right.  Let the writer’s cramp begin. 

 

Started this tome over the weekend but sort of ran out of steam along the way.  I’ve been neglecting my personal journal as well.  As my Book Blog attests I’ve finally finished reading the Collected works of Derek Walcott and launched into Robert W. Service.  When I picked up his Collected Poetry a few years back I thought 700 pages was a lot of doggerel about the Arctic until I realized that there are two additional volumes one of nearly a thousand pages and another of nearly 500.  At least his verse is infinitely more accessible than some I’ve read of late. 

 

Years in which Christmas occurs mid-week make the holiday period strange.  Many businesses shut down between Christmas and New Years but the one I work for does its biggest business at this time of year.  By this point I’m really not sure what day of the week it is.  Dropped into East Side Mario’s for supper and made it in the door just before they closed it to prepare for their New Year’s Eve festivities.  It’s homey to get hugged by your waitress and feel like family.  We all need our support networks. 

 

There was a light snowfall overnight Sunday; and the promise of five to ten inches for New Years Day.  Today’s deposit was just sufficient to make walking miserable.  As usual we here in Southern Ontario panic over the kind of snow that in the Maritimes is taken in stride.  Mind you even Florida is fussing over a wind-chill forecast. 

 

I’ve made the rounds taking down my calendars and to date have only picked up one store-bought calendar for 2008.  Since I don’t plan to be around for at least half of 2008 I may just put pictures on the wall where I once had calendars.  These days I keep track of the day of the week by checking my medication minder.  Since I’m allowed to come and go as I please I don’t even set my alarm lately.  After over 35 years my internal clock gets me up and I’m lucky to be a morning person. 

 

My partying neighbours make me feel like Malvolio in Twelfth Night appearing in his night shirt in the middle of their revels.  They were probably out on the balcony smoking; at least the walls keep the racket from seeping into my apartment otherwise.  I’m for bed and it’s doubtful I’ll be awake to see the New Year in. 

 

PEACE AND JOY TO ALL IN 2008

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge