Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow

“….creeps in this petty pace from day to day.” No, I’m not MacBeth; but retirement is beginning to look very inviting these days. At least I hope to retire without having a MacDuff lop off my head and mount it on a pike. It’s a comment on my week that the high-point was probably the fact that I managed to get most of my laundry done on Sunday—the rest of the week was blah. I did manage to get out early last Sunday and get my shopping done and put over-priced gasoline in my car mind you.

Dropped into Swiss Chalet on my way home on Monday and on a whim tried out their ribs deciding they were rather fatty, grisly and a disappointment. Dropped by Future Shop on Tuesday and picked up 3:10 to Yuma which I’ve yet to watch and once again they didn’t have or couldn’t find items advertised prominently to sell me. The rest of the week is fairly routine. Spent a bit of time learning a new program Canada Post has set up to update routes—one problem, our present computers lack sufficient memory to run that program.

For others out there who share my love of the pipe organ here’s a site where it will be possible by the end of 2009 to download the complete works of J. S. Bach for free:

http://www.blockmrecords.org/bach/kibbie.htm

I’m not sure whether it’s a aspect of old age that one requires less sleep as a result of one’s body no longer rebuilding itself or the fact that one is kept awake by ruminations over past sins that have built up over the years but last night I woke for one of those nocturnal visits to the porcelain throne and just couldn’t get back to sleep afterward. I did eventually fall asleep mind you and slept in until after 7 AM. Well, that’s sleeping in for me.

I continue to feel neglected by my correspondents as my personal “IN BOX” continues to be a forlorn piece of real estate. At least I’m not over-burdened trying to keep up with answering E-mail—I don’t have any.

While I was at Future Shop on Tuesday picked up a single audio cable to connect my laptop’s headphone jack to my Logitech 6:1 sound system. After two months of listening to my laptop’s wimpy speakers it’s heaven to return to the authority of a 10-inch 500 watt sub-woofer with the power to rattle my windows. This is not to imply that I actually endanger the glass or my hearing by pumping it up that high, but pipe organs just lack authority without the occasional growl from a 32-foot Bombard Reed, the scream of a traverse trumpet or the rumbling authority of a 64 foot open-diapason stop. That’s assuming my present sound card can process such information.

Having just finished cleaning my under-the-counter coffeemaker I’m just about to test out the theory that clean equipment makes better coffee. Chopped up green pepper, sliced sweet onion and mushrooms along with grated 5-year-old cheddar to make a grand omelet so I’m about to take a break to enjoy. I don’t often use the keep-warm feature of my upper oven but I did this morning to keep my back bacon warm. Now if I’d taken the time to put up a loaf in my breadmaker I’d have toast to go with this repast. What are Saturday’s for but to give one an opportunity to be lazy?

When I begin traveling in an RV I’m going to have to adjust my cleanup habits when I’m dealing with a water tank with limited capacity. Must say until I started reading up on the lifestyle dealing with a kitchen that hurtles along at 60 mph, makes corners and stops, at times suddenly; hadn’t occurred to me. Guess I’ll be getting use from the Melmacware I bought almost 4 decades ago though I’ll need other dishes as Melmac does not go in the microwave.

Guess I’ll try one more coffee and see whether I can find something else to interest me while iTunes downloads some music.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge