Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Beware the Ides of March

Luckily my name isn’t Julius, I’m not an emperor, I don’t know anyone named Marcus Brutus, and I feel no need to go out today. I just spent some time exploring my Blogs online. I’m approaching the second anniversary of my blogging venture and have made 310 entries to date or one every other day. Apparently 165 people have visited my blog. I write most of my entries in Microsoft Word 2002 and post them by E-mail using Windows Mail—formerly Outlook Express but my laptop is blessed with Vista. When I take the time to see what happens when the entry is translated to the blogger I am mystified as to why a single document manages to get translated using different fonts, sizes and even colours for the text. When I add pictures to my movie reviews even weirder things happen. Oh Well, I hope my readers are more tolerant than the one commenter who posted an obscene rant I promptly deleted.

Just checked the weather. If I manage to overcome my trepidations about meeting men with daggers there may be some sun in the offing today. With rain featuring in the forecast for next week I suppose I’d better enjoy the sun while it lasts. We have indeed broken a 1939 record for snowfall in the Toronto area. Somehow it seems like a dubious accomplishment.

After waiting nearly twenty years to have the shut-off valves in my apartment replaced so that I may deal with my dripping faucets and plumbing I was bemused this week to learn that it will finally get done because water is dripping into a neighbour’s ceiling. Guess I should have thought of that one years ago. Whatever it takes I suppose.

Yes, I realize this is no longer the Ides of March but I ran out of steam. I also neglected to wind my striking clock so it too needs attention. I noticed today that one of my calendars still reads February—if I wait I can switch it to April and save the bother. Outside the sun is peering out through a hazy sky and the temperature is hovering around the freezing point. Not a temperature calculated to make our mountains of snow disappear anytime soon but a comfort to those concerned over the risk of flooding. With heavy rain predicted mid-week those in low-lying areas still have cause for concern. If I pay attention to where I place my feet it should be safe to take a walk today. After all, if you believe MacLean’s Magazine, Oakville is one of the safest places in Canada or indeed the world to live. But that’s another blog.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge