Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Spring has Sprung?

Thursday, March 20, 2008

 

Overnight I upgraded my operating system to Vista Service Pack One and so far everything seems to be working.  The update went smoothly if you discount the time involved:

 

  1. Half an hour to run checkdisk on the drive
  2. Twenty minutes to run System File Checker
  3. An hour to back up all my files
  4. An hour and a half to download the update—things went slowly last night even at 1 AM
  5. Half an hour to initiate the installation
  6. Then three reboots and an hour to complete the install including a DOS System File scan.
  7.  And finally two more reboots to get the system to function properly. 

 

 

By my count that’s a five-hour update.  I hope it was worth it.  By my calculations that cost $100.00.  The first two steps are necessary to ensure a smooth update, the third was insurance.  One is also advised to update all one’s drivers before one starts though it is considered inadvisable to update a video driver unless it’s giving problems. 

 

I’m somewhat more gruntled than I was at this point yesterday, Wednesday, and discovered that after spending at least four hours getting my apartment ready for the plumbers to change the shut-off valves in my apartment I came home to discover that the work hadn’t been done.  To add insult to injury the task wasn’t accomplished because the plumber was diverted upstairs because the imbecile in the unit directly above me who has been making all his neighbour’s lives uncomfortable with his eternal renovation for the past two years had broken something.  You might say I went postal. 

 

Holy Saturday

 

Or so the day is designated in the church calendar.  Didn’t get around to writing yesterday.  This week marked the death of Arthur C. Clark the visionary behind 2001: A Space Odyssey and author of more than seventy books at the age of 90.  Also the sudden death of the 54-year-old Anthony Minghella after surgery in London. 

 

I seem to be catching up on my unwatched movie collection as the number of recent new reviews in my sister blog will indicate.  On Monday I managed to get to my local grocer’s to replenish my pantry.  That leisurely stroll took 2 hours the challenge of finding the items I want in a store where things continually get moved about making the job take longer than I’d prefer.  When I got home unpacking took another two hours.  At least I got to listen to podcasts and eat supper while I unpacked and put things away.  When I finally got to sit down fell asleep in an upright position and slept for nearly four and a half hours with the TV on but not playing and lights blazing. 

 

Tuesday I dropped by Future Shop and picked up the movie Atonement on my way home from work.  Ended up spending much of the evening writing two letters. 

 

Got up early Wednesday to get my apartment readied for the plumber as noted above.  Ate out on the way home to ensure they’d be finished when I arrived.  So much for that. 

 

The installation of Vista Service Pack 1 seems neither to have repaired nor impeded the operation of any system on my computer that I’ve been able to detect so far.  At least it appears to have been a benign procedure, for which I’m thankful.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge