Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Weekly Rant for Week of June 15-21

Catching up

 

Regular readers may remember that I’ve been adjusting to the joys of Windows Vista on my HP Laptop.  Aside from the beloved programs it steadfastly refuses to run my principal complaints surrounding the OS revolve around its infamous resource hogging proclivities, its refusal to remember even the most basic GUI settings, and the glacial pace at which it accomplishes even the most basic tasks.  If you decide to reboot the system you’ve time to go take a shower. 

 

On Monday the sixteenth I dropped into East Side Mario’s for supper.  Took advantage of a freebie to have Boci Ball Crab Cakes as an appetizer.  I was nonplused upon being served three tiny puffed up balls lost on a large plate with a dollop of pesto sauce and some decorative layering—I would not lay out $10 for that morsel.  Generally I find the eatery welcoming and homey but by no means gourmet fare. 

 

My attention this week and for the past month has been taken up with preparations for our office’s send-off for our fearless leader—Dennis Williams-Yeagers.  Since the demise of the position of Postmaster we now enjoy a Superintendent of Delivery Services and ours just retired.  Wouldn’t you know that just when I’m planning such an event Carlton Cards chooses to do inventory and be out of appropriate cards?  After I’d used my computer skills to create my own someone suggested I should have visited Indigo-Chapters but I’d already committed too much effort to the enterprise.  The final card assembled in an appropriate binder ‘borrowed’ from the stock room contained greetings, office snap shots, a glossy group foto, and a Henry’s Gift Certificate.  Getting 100 people to sign greetings is no small undertaking.  Eliciting donations for salads, desserts, and pop to feed 130 was no minor task either.  On the day our boss was given greetings, a celebrity roast, gag gifts, the card and a serenade by the ladies appropriate to his womanizing ways.  I would account the afternoon BBQ a success in that no one complained; actual thank yous being few and far between.  Thankfully I bear no responsibility for my own retirement sendoff.    

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge