Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, November 03, 2008

Warming up to the South

Fifteen year old Miley Cyrus' 20-year-old boyfriend has moved into the family home. There goes her sweet and wholesome reputation; it would seem she's lost her innocence. Apparently her father approves but then he is Billy Ray Cyrus. Couldn't resist commenting on that one.

I spent a very quiet night at Doughton Park. Not even the Campground Host came to welcome me. The next morning I boiled water to make coffee and after securing the RV set out just before 8:00 to enjoy sunrise over the Blue Ridge. Stopped at the first overlook that afforded a panoramic view to have my cereal. Made one more major photographic stop to savour the world at my feet. Then drove on to the Crafts Store down the road passing up a stop on the detour through Boone, the waterfall at Linn Falls, and a few other sights. The craft store is located in the former Cone Summer Home, a palatial white palace with balconies and roof-top walk. When I ran out of Parkway due to bridge construction ahead came down off the ridge losing 3000 ft in under a mile—scary stuff that. Was thankful to reach the nearest 4-lane safely.

The drive to Marion was uneventful and after a stop at Food Lion for groceries I drove on through the small town of Old Fort with its dying downtown and found my way up a box canyon on Catawba Falls Rd to my chosen campground. There I was welcomed and helped into my campsite by the owner and settled in for two days. The welcome was warm especially given a temperature of 82ยบ F, quite a switch from 34 this morning. After housekeeping I settled in to catch up on my browsing and E-mail. Save for the sound of gunfire in the distance mid-afternoon this has been the quietest site I’ve camped at in ages. The sound of a babbling brook in the background only serves to reinforce the peacefulness of the place.

On Sunday after breakfast I went out with my camera to get pictures and just after midday took a walk down to the local Baptist Church where

Vistors are Welcome

Members Expected

For some reason my internet connection failed early this morning but otherwise I've been more than satisfied with my experience here. After supper I decided to walk down to Catawba Falls Baptist Church for evening service. I believe this to have been a Southern Baptist Congregation and the service began with a hymn sing followed by prayer, a rendition by a pair of talentless singers and then a preacher who worked his way through the first book of Revelation. I would say to him that in hearing the Word of God understanding is implicit in the original Greek—He who hath ears to hear let him hear. The service ended with an altar call. I missed collection which came before the soloists. Everyone shook hands with everyone else. Preacher never heard of Nova Scotia, but then his president probably hasn't either. The walk back in the dark was punctuated by the same dogs who greeted me on the road to church. A church which bears the name of a cheap wine made from poor grapes.


No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge