Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Friday, February 27, 2009

San Francisco

February 26, 2009

 

Tonight I’m in Marin County 5 miles from George Lucas’ famous ‘Ranch.’  I drove up to San Francisco this morning along Hwy 101 in driving rain.  Heading back out to the coast just didn’t seem worth it in those conditions and I needed to get somewhere north of San Fran to find affordable camping.  That meant nearly 200 miles of driving today.  The traffic on 101 grew steadily heavier though the number of lanes remained steady at 4—one for multi-passenger cars.  I took the second lane from the right to avoid continually merging with on and off traffic and in the heavy traffic the speed slowed enough to accommodate me.  I arrived in San Fran at 11:00 AM.  The 15 mile drive along city streets in Downtown on the approach to the Golden Gate was something else.  I really hadn’t anticipated running out of Freeway before I crossed.  I would not push a baby carriage against a red light in front of a moving 5-ton vehicle but a local did just that.  She trusts my brakes more than I do. 

 

After that transit of the city crossing the bridge seemed anti-climactic.  The sky was clear by this point but the view even from my RV’s height was limited as it is on most bridges.  Traffic was not heavy and I got a break in that there is a toll only for south-bound traffic.  Highway 1 north of the Gate is another of those narrow, winding, hill and dale passages filled with switchbacks, flooded roadways, and washouts.  Again I was fortunate in finding little traffic.  The views of the coastline were magnificent but as usual there were no pullouts in the best locations to allow photography.  The side-hills were filled with some sort of flowering shrub having whispy leaves that I could’t identify. 

 

What is it with these campgrounds.  The privately-owned campground I’m staying at tonight demanded cash payment.  Which century are they living in?  I’ve learned to expect it of State Parks but what next?  At least their Internet works.  I’m in Olema, a small enclave that remains in the middle of Point Reyes National Seashore.  So far I have yet to explore the park, only take a walk along the narrow main highway to see large signs in front of the few businesses that read open despite the locked doors under them.  Next door is a typical Catholic Church with large white statue of Mary and a grotto with flickering candles and a painting of the Virgin and a small statue of Christ.  The daffodils are in bloom here and the Irises ready to shoot blossoms.  The flowering almond is in bloom.  Seems strange in February. 

 

Next morning I awoke early to the sounds of a Great Horned Owl calling in the distance. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge