Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Daily Rant 2009-03-06

Or at least today’s rant.  After 37 years a letter carrier I’ve received regular issues of rain gear over the years and at home have a $300 Gore-Tex Jacket still sitting in its plastic wrappings; why then are none of them packed aboard my RV?  That’s a rhetorical question by the way.  I ask that because it’s raining again this Friday morning. 

 

I’ve been riding around in this RV for the last 6 months with a set of keys for which I had no known use—fortunately I decided to keep them just in case.  Just today I discovered they open the cover surrounding my continental spare tire.  It wasn’t until today while I had the tire lowered to access my second rear door that I discovered the lock on the underside of the casing. 

 

I read in the online edition of the Oakville Beaver recently that at a corner where I used to stop twice daily to get mail from one of my relay boxes someone assaulted a 85-year-old woman at noon time.  In Sackville, NS a clerk asked a robber to “Please leave the store.” and it worked!  Sometime it pays to be polite as your Mother taught you to be. 

 

Just in case you’re feeling over-weight and bemoan losing the battle of the bulge remember; Lady Liberty in New York Harbour has a 35 ft waist. 

 

Here are a few points to ponder:

 

Football is a mistake. It combines the two worst elements of American life. Violence and committee meetings.

George F. Will (1941 - )

 

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

Elizabeth Taylor (1932 - )

 

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.

Charles Kuralt

 

The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people who can write know anything.

Walter Bagehot (1826 - 1877)

 

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

 

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.

Leo Tolstoy (1828 - 1910)

 

California Welcome Centres continue to hide on me; I’m beginning to believe they don’t want people to find them.  I suppose that saves on travel brochures.  Is it because they don’t want tourists in the first place?  Whatever the reason they do a disservice to the travel industry. 

 

Making breakfast this morning it occurs to me that the chicken who laid the egg doesn’t have to die to provide my meal like the porker who supplied my bacon and since most chickens have never seen a rooster there’s no chance that egg could have ever become a chicken. 

 

Guess I’ll sign off now before I confirm unequivocally that I’m full of it.

 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge