Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Elora Gorge

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tonight I'm back among flora and fauna I understand.  Once again the Cardinal's whistled call fills the air.  I caught a glimpse of a Kingbird and here in the park have heard the 'weep, weep, weep' of the Great-Crested Flycatcher.  The woods are full of spring ephemerals including wild ginger, bloodroot, herb Robert, and columbine.  The gorge may be fenced off these days for security's sake but the Grand still rushes through the valley below.  Thirty-five dollars a night for a site with water and electricity.  Pity about the rain mind you but no one controls nature.  This was the last night of relative peace I'm likely to have for a while. 

 

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yesterday after a lazy start to the day I drove down to Milton taking the route through the city of Guelph past the ever-burgeoning University of Guelph.  Before I reached the 401 I rued the number of traffic lights and rough city roads more than once.  In Milton I dropped in on a former fellow worker and the two of us dropped by the local Post Office to catnap a former supervisor of mine who had yet to read the note in warning I'd sent her several days previous.  We took her out to tea anyway. 

 

It's a weird feeling finding yourself a stranger in your own home.  Before I left I unplugged everything and turned off all my appliances but eerier still was not remembering the location of items I've reached for the last thirty years.  It was with relief I learned there were no parking tickets or red-light camera citations awaiting me.  Even better was finding the passport I'd applied for before I left last fall awaiting me.  There wasn't as much mail as one might expect awaiting me but what there was held it's own share of nuisance, paperwork, and added errands.  I look forward to going back on the road and leaving behind the noise of traffic and emergency vehicle sirens.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge