Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Thessalon

Spent Monday planning my summer in Nova Scotia, as planned I will be spending most of my time in Provincial Parks once I arrive.  Acting as a campground host sounds like the ideal gigue for me, I'd be camping anyway and this way I'll get an inside look at 4 parks, meet people, and get to enjoy the features of each location with time to go explore on my own. 

 

This morning I went back to bed after an early morning check of the cyberworld.  When I did get going stopped at the Cambrian Mall to shop at Rome's Independent Grocery.  Naively I parked in an open area near the large Rome's sign but upon attempting to get there learned the store was actually a quarter mile around the back of the mall.  The joys of encountering new places.  I did not expect the place to carry pea butter so I wasn't disappointed when I didn't find any.  I also didn't find any bacon I felt worthy of the name and for a lark I bought a dozen double-yoker eggs.  Regular eggs are now the price I remember premium omega 3 eggs being. 

 

On the way out of town I encountered the bane of travel north of the border any time the highways are not buried in ice and snow—construction.  The drive to Thessalon was a short hop and I made my intended campground just after noon.  It doesn't behove a traveller to belittle a local community even if the locals do.  I took the advice of the gentleman who signed me in and drove into town to have lunch at the bakery.  I should have taken my book along as it seemed to take forever for my carrot soup to arrive in a French onion soup ramekin accompanied by a 6-inch variety sub.  In Thessalon a sub should have two kinds of olives.  I picked up a loaf of their raisin bread but was somewhat surprised when the offer to slice it was made to discover the task was accomplished with an electric knife.  The double scoop of Chapman's Apple Pie Ice Cream was a delightful mix of apple pieces, bit of pastry and cinnamon. 

 

Deciding I didn't want to blink and miss town I walked the remainder of Main St—it is paved but there are no parking meters.  City Hall shares space with the library.  The barber shop has posted political comments from the owner.  There's an IOOF Hall and a Legion, the Arena, and curling rink.  Wandered into the local Home Hardware where a collection of bikes and weed whackers hung outside along with lawn chairs and miniature fire places.  Apparently we live in hopes of a time when its warm enough to use these things without being eaten alive.  There's a tavern and a café along with a clothing and gift shop.  I gingerly toured the later threading my way through tightly packed collections of local memorabilia.  Believe I'll wait until I reach Manitoulin Island before I buy their local jams.  There is of course a Post Office and I visited the LCBO not finding any wines that interested me—who would want wild grape?  Explored the cold room where they sell beer and discovered more American than Canadian.  I settled on a four-pack of Keith's Ale. 

 

When I got back and hooked up settled in to sample a beer and then set off on a walk along the lake; the lake in question now being the North Channel of Lake Huron.  The park has a coarse-sanded dark blonde beach complete with beach-ball court.  There is enough wind to create a 6-inch chop which makes for continually breaking waves; the difference here being that there will be no tide.  I took the liberty of walking along the shore to the rock outcrop east of my campground and there found every exposed piece of rock covered in a decade's worth of graffiti.  It would appear that I am one of the few people who ever visited the site without leaving my calling card behind.  Upon taking a walk around the park I discovered the lifeblood of this campground as most others is its seasonal campers many of whom have obviously resided here for decades having elaborate screened in porches and outbuildings attached to their trailers, along with gardens, lawn ornaments and the like. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge