Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Back in Halifax

Friday, July 30th
Arrived to find my Sister and Brother-in-Law in their front yard. After the events of the last few days I wasn’t up to much but that evening I greatly enjoyed the opportunity to have a thorough soak in a bathtub. Every traveller should have a sister with a washer and dryer and a brother-in-law who does washing and waxing along with repairs. Sunday Morning we walked down to Saint John the Baptist United Church--seems to be a popular name for a church in these parts; in the afternoon drove into the city to take in the band concert in the Public Gardens.

Is my friend Roy correct in asserting that rain follows me around. In any case it rained all last week making it good weather to catch up on reading and watch some movies. It wasn’t until the weekend that we got to the Annapolis Valley to pick Highbush Blueberries. After church on Sunday got a feed of Clams and Chips at John’s, a Greek Family Restaurant. Talk about treating guests like family, the owner came out and grabbed a chip off my brother-in-law’s plate and popped it in his mouth. After we wandered around the touristy Fisherman’s Cove which overlooks McNabs Island west of Dartmouth.

Monday morning August 9th I pulled up stakes and hit the highway headed west. Gasoline was $1.07.1 in Nova Scotia, 99¢ in New Brunswick. Before leaving stopped at Masstown Market north of Truro to pick up groceries and fresh produce along with a small fortune in Maple Syrup worth its weight in gold as gifts for friends in Alberta and Texas. It started raining just as I crossed the border into New Brunswick. Had made a reservation for Hartt Island and spent a restless first night back in my RV bed especially since the site wasn’t level and I was too lazy to bother with planks.

Tuesday the drive proved uneventful. I’ve been fortunate in not being held up by road construction. Unlike Monday I didn’t have any drivers like the one who kept passing me only to slow down. Stopped in Edmunston just before crossing into Quebec to stock up on a few things I couldn’t find at Masstown and get gasoline. Camping Lido near Riviere-Du-Loup offered me a choice of campsites and good Wi-Fi.

The drive Wednesday down the Eastern Townships along Highway 20 was long and hot. At least I didn’t have to navigate in fog though there was a great deal of bridge reconstruction along the way. In Quebec they typcially tackle the entire bridge and route traffic to the opposing lanes with a barricade down the centre. The crossover lanes are left permanently in place blocked by rods when not in use. Haven’t looked at the booklets I picked up at the Quebec Border when I made a rest stop upon leaving New Brunswick. Stopped for lunch at a rest area along the highway mid-way between Quebec City and Montreal where there was a boutique selling over-priced cheeses, cheese curd, and cheese strings, sandwiches, tourist items, drinks and local cider. I broke down and picked up some cider. I’ll have to wait for it to cool properly. Found a campsite in Bromont Quebec though it doesn’t seem to be the same place I stayed last May. It’s 80º F here and I’m thankful for working A/C.

After a drive west along Highway 10 leading to Highway 20 through West-End Montreal found my way to the Ontario Border and Highway 401. With the rest areas and tourist bureau still under construction Westbound as it was Eastbound stopped for a break at a brand new rest area which lacked all but a washroom and dining area. Camped for the night at a KOA north of Cardinal near Upper Canada Village north of the 401 and rested up for Friday’s uneventful drive across the top of Toronto.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge