Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hanging Around Oakville

Another week poking around my apartment in Oakville. I’ve been spending my time getting re-acquainted and learning to do new things with software on my laptop. I should be doing further work with my picture files but lacking the ability to upload them I can’t generate the motivation. I have been busy sorting through books, DVD’s, and CD’s finding CD’s to listen to, DVD’s to watch and books to read next. After imposing a modicum of organization on my collections got out a vacuum and started fighting dust.

On August 23 tired of my four walls and took a drive to Milton to visit a friend. Nothing like hearing other people’s woes to take one’s mind off one’s own. Milton is the fastest growing community in North America and is experiencing all the growing pains associated with that kind of expansion. I was thankful to discover Derry Rd is no longer a work in progress nor covered in red clay. Learning that power outages caused by construction are a daily occurrence was an eye-opener. The taste of pears and tomatoes fresh from a backyard garden reawakens taste buds one didn’t know one had.

On Tuesday managed to get back online briefly, when I’ll ever catch up on all those E-mail who knows though I am attempting to keep up with my comix. Feeling I should get my teeth checked at least once a year kept the appointment I’d made the week before. The dental technician who took up residency a few years back is my definition of a female redneck--resentful of people such as myself who have a pension plan and medical benefits and in general opinionated and not shy about sharing. It is one thing that she spent considerable time updating my dental records, quite another that she tacked on a charge of over one hundred dollars for so-doing with nary a by your leave. Did you hear me say something unprintable? Drove to Bronte for lunch at the Coach and Four Pub frequented by the local senior’s population and still maintaining high standards. A walk round the block revealed derricks busy constructing the infamous Bronte Quadrangle whose developers’ block-busting blitz irrevocably destroyed the face of Olde Bronte and may even have been behind the mysterious fire that befell the Boat House Restaurant at the corner, good on the owners for stubbornly holding out and rebuilding. A stop at Future Shop for some newly released DVD’s reminded me of their continued inefficiency and lack of current stock and a cashier who had to be reminded that the computer is often not updated accurately overcharging by $20--the store may have gotten a one million dollar face-lift but otherwise remains unchanged. Found my dye and worked on my shoes, alas the polish has dried up.

Thursday afternoon a neighbour drove me to the Oakville Hospital for my date with the laser which was my reason for being in town. It is a sad commentary on the state of health-care that a procedure that lasted all of 120 seconds took up 4 hours of my day. We left at 1:30 arriving with a half hour to spare before my appointment. It was to be an entire hour before my number came up in reception and an hour after that before I finally got to see the doctor. By the time I called my ride, got picked up, and spent another 45 minutes picking up the prescribed eye-drops at Shopper’s Drug it was 5:30. By that time I’d long since finished the book I took with me to read.

Friday morning went to the doctor’s office for an after-care checkup. Hopefully there is a special section in Hell reserved for practitioners who overbook and have no regard for their patient’s time and patience. I arrived at 9:30 for a 9:45 appointment and found an over-crowded waiting-room. Patients were lined up outside in the corridor. Eventually I got a seat and held on to it with a death-grip. I’d brought a 400-page book with me this time. When the doctor finally saw me at 11:00 AM I had to remind him that the nurse who had put drops in my eyes 40 minutes ago warned me they were good for 10 minutes. I left with the news that the operations had been a success--pity the patient died of boredom waiting. At least my generator had had a chance to have a good run at recharging my RV batteries. I’d earlier caught up somewhat online. For this I am spending three baking weeks in Oakville.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge