Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow

I seem to be gripped by lethargy and procrastination. The concert last Friday was an enjoyable outing made even more pleasant by the fact that the rain held off to let me walk the half-mile to the concert hall without getting soaked. I’ll review the concert on my sister Music Blog.

On Saturday my neighbour William took me shopping in the rain. We toured a wonderful landscaping centre where we found parking because they know Will. There I looked at roadrunner sculptures but finding them too large to carry around settled for a cattail sunflower seed feeder and a covered two-station cylindrical bird feeder with a shepherd’s crook to hold it. At Target picked up two bags of seeds and at DSW a pair of Doc Martens slipons.

DSCN8543.JPG

Home again I unpacked my feeders peeling off the labels and in the rain placed them in the grass beside my campsite. The covered feeder I filled and soon after it started getting visitors. Only the smaller birds are able to perch on it and feed, the others have to settle for the droppings caused by sloppy feeders. Despite the rain the birds came.

Sunday dawned overcast and wet, bands of heavy showers having settled in during the night and a glowering sky promising more to come. Having pretty much decided to stay put I settled back with my books and spent the day reading. I got so engrossed I even forgot to listen to Words and Music in the morning and NPR’s organ show in the evening. When the rain eased somewhat I went out to put seed in my cattail and as if to reward my efforts within a minute of my returning to my RV the Black-Crested Titmouse landed on its side and grabbed a meal.

So much entertainment value can be derived from watching the antics of birds I wonder that I’ve waited so long to set up shop with a feeding station. My privacy glass affords me a unique opportunity to observe my visitors up close without disturbing them. It is ironic that it is the smallest sparrows who are the most daring visiting new additions before the larger grackles will go anywhere near them. On their own the grackles will sidle around something strange and take side-glances then skitter away while the sparrows charge in leading the way until the larger birds take over. When the sun finally came out Monday morning things got really busy.

The large black Common Grackles are joined by their smaller Brown-Headed Cowbird cousins and the mourning doves sauntered in to feed on bottom droppings. The Titmouse got to share the cattail with the occasional sparrow until the Chickadees arrived. The English Sparrows were joined by dozens of smaller true sparrows in winter plumage. The Mockingbird skulked in the hedgerow darting out to grab a tidbit before retreating again as did a single Blue Jay. A rather tiny Cardinal made a brief colourful appearance before flying off.

When I wasn’t watching the birds I was reading and have finished two books already this year.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge