Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Winter of My Discontent

This morning I used the last of the Edward’s coffee I picked up in Western Canada this Fall. It was a large container of good fine drip coffee. Walked to the local market two doors down to pick up some of their pricey locally roasted beans ground to order.

This morning when I bent down to get water for my bird bath from the nearby tap the slip-on shoes I’ve been wearing the last decade or so ripped along one of the seams with the sole in a last gasp. The replacement soles were starting to wear out in any case but....

With news of record snowfalls across the north and both coasts and scenes of cars buried in snowbanks I feel sheepish complaining about a few nights of freezing temperatures and a couple weeks of rain but in the last week I’ve used my onboard washroom more than I have in two years. In a repeat of last year’s experience it appears I’ll be walking to the Symphony tonight in the rain.

Aided by a resident squirrel and a stray black cat the Sparrows and Grackles have been cleaning my improvised feeding station out of house and home. I need to pick up some proper bird feed when I get out to go grocery shopping.

Before I wash dishes or do any more cooking I need to refill my onboard propane tank which means a trip to the depot. I keep checking the sea-saw motion of the Canadian Dollar--Loonie--as I need to withdraw some cash. It is pleasant to know I’m saving a cent on every dollar I spend at present. I do need to go grocery shopping but I’m in no danger of starving yet.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge