Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Days Two and Three

Friday, April 13, 2012
Spent most of my day traversing the Sooner State. At 9:00 AM this
morning departed the "Great" State of Texas and stopped at the Oklahoma
Visitor's Centre for a cup of decent if very hot coffee. I must wonder
why reduced speed limits are posted in construction areas if no one
observes them and no one enforces them. And wonder why the speed limit
on I-35 within the City of Oklahoma changes every half mile. The route
tracks a path straight due north with only a few rolling hills just
North of Ardmore. I'm glad to report that the trip was unremarkable. No
crosswinds and no significant traffic. A tornado hit Norman, Oklahoma
just 3 hours after I drove by. Kansas and Oklahoma remain under a
24-hour tornado watch. What can I say?
Once more I encountered the Toll Booth on I-35 upon entering the State
of Kansas, the Welcome Centre is 21 miles up the road. When I got off
the toll road it cost me $1.90. Turning off the highway to get to
Lindsborg one sees nothing but open fields until the grain elevators in
town come into view on the horizon. Little appears to have changed about
town. Scott's Grocery Store has re-arranged a few items but still
specialize in Swedish Specialty Items including 10 pound pails of
marinated herring.
Having driven 600 miles nearly due north I remarked tonight at the
length of time it takes for it to get dark after the sun sets at this
latitude. A fire truck and ambulance just went roaring by but otherwise
peace rains supreme here. Next door a Carbonation truck slowly oozes
CO2. Just beyond the parking lot lie open fields. Two giant concrete
gorillas still stand sentinel at the entrance to the house two doors down.
Saturday, April 14, 2012
Got my assets in gear in time to make Men's Bible Study at Messiah
Lutheran. The church website read of a study of 1st and 2nd Samuel, in
fact it was 1 Thessalonians 2 and 3. The group was a rather high-powered
collection of retired college professors and assorted other
professionals. Interesting discussion.
After discovered they don't unroll the sidewalks in Downtown Lindsborg
Saturday Morning until after 10:00. Although few in Lindsborg still
speak Swedish signs in Swedish and Swedish goods abound. The most
unusual storefront along Main St is the International School of Chess
run by one Anatoly Karpov, visited by the likes of one Mikhail
Gorbachov. I regret having missed the fact that there was an organ
recital last night at 8:00 in Presser Hall. Had I known I'd have been there.
Today is overcast and a gust of wind blew through at 10. One can only
pray the predicted Tornadoes miss us.
On my way home dropped by Scott's Hometown Foods once more. Learned that
their supplier for all things Swedish is Noon Hour Foods out of Chicago.
As I was picking up a smaller bottle of Imported, (Canadian) Herring I
noted Ost Semi-Soft Cheese and was asked to look up and note the
Lutefisk slabs selling for $34.99 a pound. Believe I'll wait for an
invite from someone who actually knows how to prepare it. I did pick up
a locally made strawberry rhubarb pie, sweet rub, raw milk cheddar,
bread and butter pickles, and ice cream. I'll diet later.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge