Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Day Five

There's a long tradition of campers writing letters that cannot be
mailed so here goes.

Yesterday being Sunday I got active early and walked to church at 8:00
AM at Bethany Lutheran missing the choir and pipe organ which performed
at the late service. After walked up through the Bethany College grounds
and found no one stirring at that hour. At 9:30 attended worship at
Messiah Lutheran Church and stopped for coffee in their Rec Centre
afterward. After making it home rested from my labours with an afternoon
nap. Walked over to Scott's Homeland Foods before they closed at 5 and
picked up locally made potato salad, eggs, and frozen peas. The talk
about the place was of the tornado scene the night before. People still
without power, who spent the night in their storm cellars, and who
sustained damage to their property.

The wind seemed higher where I was parked than the day before but I
settled in and went to bed early after watching the latest Twilight Movie.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Managed to get off at 6:45 and the first thing I discovered was that I
hadn't gotten around to cleaning the kamikaze insects off my windshield.
It wasn't until I needed to fill up that I finally redeemed the
situation. I spent most of my day driving due North crossing the state
of Nebraska. My route not being along a major highway I encountered no
Welcome Centres today. When I reached my planned campsite in South
Dakota I discovered that Randall Creek Campground does not open until
May 1st --something about nesting Bald Eagles. The information on the
State of South Dakota and Woodalls websites were both inaccurate. After
driving a further 100 miles and a second fill-up at a nondescript gas
station in Pickstown found a campsite at the intersection of Highway 281
and Interstate 90 thanks to MS Streets and Trips. Located in the 'town'
of Plankinton I now find myself 1000 miles North of Austin Texas.

Someone took my cash but the campground is not really open. The power is
on but there was no TP in the washroom and the hand driers didn't work.
I'm just back from a walk uptown. Tee Hee'd at Steele and Steele
Attorneys at Law. There's a railway museum in the process of
restoration, a few bars and eateries most closed, and Ron's General
Store selling Hunting and Fishing Licenses. I would note that the tulips
are just opening here along with the lilacs and redbuds.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

After nearly a month of trying to stay cool while I slept overnight
temperatures near freezing had me reaching for my quilt. Coiling my land
line is going to be a challenge when I go outside. Today I'll be back on
a limited-access Interstate Highway so I should make good time to Rapid
City. Speeding along at 70 mph with level crossings ahead feels
unnatural and although I had no near misses it does cause one to watch
approaching traffic more closely. I'm headed west toward Mountain Time
so I'll be gaining an extra hour today. With only 250 miles to travel
today I'm taking my time getting underway.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge