Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Day Six

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Took my time getting started today. The drive was due West along
Interstate 91 with only a light head-wind. This stretch of I-90 in South
Dakota displays the most egregious example of sign pollution I've seen
in 50,500 miles of driving. Firehall Brewing even has an old firetruck
parked beside each of its hoardings. The route tracks due West at 270º.
After seeing a score of signs got off the highway at Wall to visit the
Grasslands Visitor Centre to pick up bumph, then walked up to visit Wall
Drug. They have signs posted worldwide advertising free ice water. Must
be seen to be believed. Beware the T-Rex that lifts its head every 12
minutes to scare the kiddies. Chicken Fried Steak at $5.99 was an
acceptable meal. Coffee is 5¢. Not sure why anyone would want wine with
this menu. Bud Light on Tap for $3.99 in a frosted mug. I passed.

Stopped at the Visitor's Centre in Rapid City, then drove down to my
KOA. I am pleased to report that I received a cordial welcome and found
the staff helpful and engaging. The hale storm that blew in with
marble-sized hale as I was out photographing the area was not so
pleasing. When the first balls of ice hit I feared for my rear windows.
Even this early in the season enjoyed the fact that someone was present
to cook bacon and eggs plus pancakes at 7:00 AM in the morning. Lucked
into a two-man guided tour in a Dodge Van of the local scenic backroads;
Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, and The Chief Crazy Horse Memorial. I
chickened out on the idea of Bison Stew, kudos to the Governor-General
for trying raw heart. The prairie dogs whistled for us, the pronghorns
wandered by, the bison imperiously ignored us, and the begging burros
stuck their heads in the windows for carrot treats. The sheer scale of
the effort at Crazy Horse enthralls, I'm not certain how many
generations it will take to complete the carving of an entire mountain.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge