Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Day Fifteen

Got off slowly after a bout with loose stool. Paused to pick up info at
the Minnesota Welcome Centre passing up their coffee. Stopped at
Worthington for gas having to drive into 'town'; I lacked the appetite
to stop at the local Perkins Restaurant recommended by my last host.
During my travels I've passed at least a score of Laura Ingalls-Wilder's
Homes. I suppose if she was going to become famous for writing Little
House on the Prairie it was generous of her to spread the wealth around
however--though I've heard of being born again I don't quite understand
how she can have all those multiple birth places.

Found my way to Pettibone RV Resort in Wisconsin without incident. It is
open but the promised Wi-Fi doesn't exist. Walking a quarter-mile up to
the office to use the internet just doesn't cut it. That a steam-shovel
was dredging out a boat channel opposite me didn't add to the park's
appeal. The bleeping of dump trucks is annoying. The young hunk running
the office/bar while he browsed E-mail and watched a sports channel
seemed utterly indifferent. Pettibone is on an island in the middle of
the Mississippi on the Wisconsin Side of the Border--that border running
close to the West bank. My campsite backed on that backwater. The place
being in a flood plain the electrical hookups are at eye-level. When I
sampled the water I was thankful I'd filled up in Sioux Falls on the
soft water there. That night the temperature dipped to freezing and I
was thankful to awake next morning and see nothing white outside my
windows. Spent the day walking about the park, reading, and talking to
my neighbour; a retired probation officer from Winona. It was he who
recommended I head North-West toward the resort area of Lake Pepin.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge