Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Final Leg

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Left Wabasha 900 miles from home before my host got out of bed. Not a
challenge as he isn't an early riser moving fast only when behind the
wheel of his Shelby Super Snake--who actually needs 1000 horsepower? O
to 60 in 2 seconds. Stopped in Winona for groceries and gas, then drove
East and South through Wisconsin in the rain along I-90/39 staying about
60 miles west of Lake Michigan to miss the cities of Milwaukee and
Chicago. Stopped in Utica Illinois at one of 'those' campgrounds that
find Campers an inconvenient consequence of doing business. The place
was well-kept and organized but who wants to read two pages of rules and
face signs at every turn telling you what you shouldn't do. That night
managed to catch a couple shots of the 'Big' Moon.

Next morning the drive East on I-80/94 to Indiana cost me $1.10 cent in
highway toll fees and was busy with truck traffic but on a Sunday
morning there were no tie-ups, in fact traffic moved at 10 over the
speed limit. Made good time to Michigan City and spent the rest of the
day catching up as my last campsite has nearly non-existent Internet
Wi-Fi. I did take time to walk about the park and check out the Canada
Geese and the wildflowers. My decision to stay over an extra day proved
prescient when thick morning fog blanketed the area the entire day and
non-stop thunder crackled through the afternoon and evening.

Tuesday Morning commenced the 300-mile drive to Emmett, Michigan just
short of the Canadian Border. This highway is groved concrete block with
frequent sections of uneven chinks made so by the heavy truck traffic
that it handles. Much of the highway is 6-lane as it passes Lanzing and
Flint. Not fun when one gets behind two transports passing one another
on a 4-lane. Michigan law mandates trucks drive 10 under the car speed
limit. Stopped in Kalamazoo at Denny's for a lunch break. I have yet to
find one that makes good coffee. The couple next me did their best to
give my waitress a hard time, nothing it seems suited them. Even blacks
can be ugly Americans. Mark Emmett KOA as another place that's off my
list. Electric and Water connections were ill-placed; the site not level
and grass with molding mushrooms. The Internet Service worse than
non-existent. Not only was it slow but squelching prevented me from
opening Farmville even at 3 in the morning.

Wednesday morning after a stop at a gas pump which refused to fully fill
my tank I set off on the short drive to the Bluewater Bridge amidst
heavy construction. The toll is now the same in Canadian and American
Dollars. The young polite male Canada Customs Agent subjected me to the
most thorough inquisition I've suffered to date; then sent me for a
'declaration verification' inspection. Fortunately for me they chose not
to find anything to fuss about but they did make a mess--particularly
the female agent. They were polite about it. Dismissed I set off across
the fields of South/Western Ontario thankful no one was spreading pig
manure.

Although sunshine welcomed me to Sarnia I soon passed through a cold
front that dropped the temperature 10º C spawning thundershowers and
gusting winds. This weather pattern chased me all the way home. Had a
break at the En Route Rest Area in Woodstock sporting over-priced gas
and fast food restaurants. Noted not less than 5 people bappering away
in as many languages on ear-based head-set telephones and as many using
cellphones. No wonder the roads are littered with unsafe distracted
drivers. Police are now disguising themselves as hobos to catch
cellphone using drivers at stop lights.

Was forced to slow down considerably as I came down the Niagara
Escarpment in Hamilton by high gusting winds and fight afternoon
traffic. Got off the highway when I reached the Bronte Creek and
Oakville to stop at Oakville's new postal facility and get a personal
tour from its manager. Best I not make public comments about my beloved
former employer, they still pay my pension. Suffice to say I'm thankful
I don't have to work there.

Drove the remaining kilometers home on city streets finding 50 Km/hr
painfully slow and traffic lights.... Was grateful to find a parking
space waiting for me at my Condominium and backed into it, locked up my
RV, and went home with my laptop. After turning my fridge and furnace
back on visited my neighbours.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge