Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, March 25, 2013

The Snowbird Starts His Northerly Migration

I got off at 3:30 AM on Friday, March 22. The important thing is that I made it safely to Lindsborg as planned. In hindsight setting out on a 610-mile trip in the dark after barely driving for 4 months was probably not the wisest choice in the world. On Thursday I got out to fill my gas tank--$3.49 in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas though $3.39 in Lindsborg. Also refilled my propane tank and picked up a few groceries.

When I left Austin the temperature was 64ยบ F; between Fort Worth and the Oklahoma Border it dropped to 40. When I got out to visit the washroom at the Welcome Centre a damp cold wind cut like a knife. A fellow traveler showed up fresh from a Gulf Coast Beach in Shorts and Sandals--Brrrr! The Oklahoma Welcome Centre makes undrinkable coffee--I should have remembered. I am thankful for a day without crosswinds and no precipitation. I stopped again in Ardmore for gasoline and Brunch at Jimmy's Egg--cheese Omelet, homefries, biscuits and gravy for under $10.00.

North of the ill-marked Kansas Border--the Welcome Sign appears after mile post one--paused to get my ticket at the automated toll booth. The Welcome Centre is 22 miles further on. They had info on Marquette but the Motorcycle Museum seems to be their chief attraction. I've later learned that their coffeeshop has closed depriving local farmers of a meeting place. Their washroom was a mess and the water fountain was heating, not cooling, the water.

Wichita is a go-slow zone with a canal running down the middle of the highway. Paid my $2.00 toll fee just before I entered. Not much to see once you leave the city and getting off the highway onto route 81 leaves one wondering, is there really a town here?

Not a great deal has changed in Lindsborg since I visited on my way north last year--in a lot of ways that's a good thing. Rented my campsite for ten days and got hooked up. Then walked over to Bethany College and got personalized assistance in purchasing my concert tickets. Walked down to Bethany Church which is still open days and picked up the Palm Sunday Bulletin. Then downtown to visit the Travel Kiosk and the Library. Stopped to look at a gallery exhibit. Finally walked back to Scott's Homeland Foods to pick up a few essentials--things have been rearranged slightly but they still stock Lutefisk, Lefse, Lingonberries, Swedish Meatballs.

It is pleasant to have internet access while seated upright in bed, something I've missed these past months. Save for the Kansas Wind my night was peaceful.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge