Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Homeward Bound

Got going before breakfast while the coast was relatively clear. I'd fallen into bed upon my return Sunday Night. Got out to walk around my RV just to make sure nothing was amiss. Just kept driving until I finally had to stop somewhere beyond Pictou to run the generator to make coffee and toast. Rough roads made using my laptop dicey so I listened to Radio or played the CD's I'd picked up at the festival.

Stopped once more at Masstown and took my brother-in-law's advice to buy a quart of Grapenut Ice Cream rather than spend nearly as much on a single cone. Picked up fresh strawberries and some jam though they were out of Strawberry Rhubarb. I'll try Blueberry Rhubarb as a consolation. Opted to drive up old highway 4 bypassing the tollway. Made it to Sackville on the gas I'd bought in Enfield over a week earlier.

Short drive from there to Stonehurst Golf Course near Magnetic Hill. I'd been running A/C for some time to remain alert. The 'campground' wasn't much and the Wi-Fi was pitiful and turned off overnight. Met a retired couple who were interested in picking my brains about local music. Originally from Pictou they'd retired to Florida.

Tuesday took off for the drive to Quebec. Stopped along the way for lunch at a Subway North of Woodstock, NB, and ran into a long lineup at the counter. Stopped North of Edmundston to fill-up so I could make it through Quebec without spending 10¢ more per litre on gasoline there. Between Déglis and Cobano HWY 185 is still under construction so traffic was diverted to the southbound lanes. At least everything was paved.

My once favourite park in Rivière-Du-Loup has degraded Wi-Fi. Couldn't get online once I arrived having gained an hour crossing the border. When it started thundering with heavy rain the gang beside me in a tent packed up and left. Made it online just long enough to pay my bills late in the evening.

On Tuesday drove 346 miles, Wednesday the hop to Montreal was a hundred less though the roads were rough and the sun hot. Stopped at a St. Hubert Express west of in Drummondville for counter service and self-serve condiments. Decided to drive on to West End Montreal so I'd be West of Thursday Morning traffic and give KOA Montreal West one last try. Propped between the CN Mainline with level crossings to the south and HWY 20 just outside the park office the place is almost fully occupied by seasonal campers with fancy park model homes. The patch of grass between tree stumps was ill-marked and uneven. The Wi-Fi worked mind you and with the A/C blasting the noise was tolerable. Ten miles from the Ontario Border.

On Wednesday made coffee and was on the road shortly after 7:00 AM. Rough roads again but Montreal Classique en français beguiled the first section of road. Made it to Landcaster, Ontario before I had to fill-up my gas tank. The machine balked at completely filling my tank. Stopped at my favourite Dennys in Napanee for Brunch and moved to avoid the loud chatter of two woman having a businesswoman's lunch.

Save for a rude female driver who honked at me in the right-most lane because she seemed to think I should tail gate the car in front of me the way she was my Van, the drive proved merely tiring. No slowdowns despite lanes marked for Pan Am HOV traffic. Made it to Oakville shortly before 2:00 PM with classical music still playing on CBC.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge