Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Trekking Fall 2016 Week Two

My memory may be slightly off recovering the events of week two. It began early with a drive out of Lunenburg through Alder Swamps past Maders Cove and the famous three churches in Mahone Bay somewhat obscured by fog which followed me up the South Shore. Made Fall River driving nearly to Armdale in Halifax before heading up past Bedford Basin on the 104. My GPS still gets lost in the area. The rotary as one exits the highway to Old HWY 2 is new. I made it in time to attend church with my Sister and Brother-In-Law at Saint John's United, Fall River. The congregation is lead by a choir, the words for hymns projected on a large screen. I recognized one of the tunes. The sermon at least kept me awake. After Lunch Richard and I went for a walk around the subdivision up over the hill.

Monday. My favourite handyman performed a few repairs and installations on my RV. The rest of the day was relatively quiet.

Tuesday. We made it to the Dartmouth Ferry Lot and had Clams and Chips at John's Lunch, then took the ferry to the Halifax Waterfront, a first for me--$1.25 cash fare for seniors each way. Walked the waterfront past moored ships and a 3000-passenger cruise ship to Garrison Brewing where we sampled glasses of their ale for $2 each. Walked back checking out the Harbourside Farmers Market on the way.

Wednesday. My sister had a meeting in HFX and Richard took his truck in for rust-proofing. On the way stopped at Canadian Tire for a replacement air filter, my garage charges $60 for the 30-second task. Had arranged to meet up with a former classmate from Hebbville Consolidated High School I last saw in the Spring of 1967. We had a glass of cranberry juice each at Franklins, a pub I can't find because the Waitress told us to forget about it when I offered to settle the bill. As we were leaving town rain scuttled plans for a waterfront picnic. That night we drove over to St. John's Church to set up for KD the next day.

Thursday. Shopping at Sobeys. I got a pound of Ganong's double thick peppermints. Picked up a gratis Blue Jays bottle-sized shirt at the liquor store, gratis and second time trying time, got a flu shot at Shopper's Drug--$15.00. In the afternoon we stumbled along the shore of Soldier's Lake picking wild cranberries. Slim sunburned pickings, we got 2 pounds between us.

Friday. Finished waxing my Van, the rain assisting with the washing of same. The threatened heavy rain and wind proved to be late and a non-event for us anyway when it finally arrived later that night. We drove over to the church so Richard could install the new Defibrillator outside the Men's Washroom. Other chores ensued at one point calling for moi to stand in front of mikes in the chancel and sing, then talk for half an hour while a trio adjusted the sound system. Recently moved neighbours dropped by in the evening. I talked one noon-time with the neighbour on the other side and said hello to Charlie the Scottish Terrier.

Got off to a late start on Saturday before saying my goodbyes to my sister and headed out in the rain and fog for Falmouth. Brief patch of sunlight as I got to Windsor and parked in my niece's yard and hooked up. A quiet couple days, save for Oscar and Jimmy, the Dachshunds. The high point was a trip to Sobeys for Groceries. We watched the Leonardo DiCaprio movie Body of Lies in which he plays a bearded scruffy looking CIA Agent performing covert operations in the Middle East. Violent, dark, and confusing it deserves its low critical rating in my estimation.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge