Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Escapism




Last night I watched the first of the Harry Potter movies once more. No one ever accused these books of being great classic literature but nothing succeeds like success and the sales figures speak for themselves. I wonder if in centuries to come doctoral theses will be written as to whether it is possible that a welfare mother wrote books that were read by millions around the globe. The storylines are formulaic, the characters have derivative names but despite myself I find myself drawn in.
Harry Potter appeals to the outcast misfit that resides inside the child in all of us. Who wouldn't love to be able to turn the tables on a childhood bully as Harry does in the scene in the zoo with the python or laugh at the pigs tail Hagrid gives Dudley. Wouldn't we love to believe that magic were possible.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

AAAhh, but it does my friend, in books and stories like this.

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge