Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Rainy Day Blues

The tyranny of a daily Blog, what to write today? Sorry, navel gazing is not generally interesting for others.

We, here in Southern Ontario are enjoying yet another day of showers in our continuing rainy season and it's predicted to continue tomorrow. If, as that great poet anon. declared, "April showers bring May Flowers.", I'd like to know what May showers are responsible for, not to mention those of June.

I've been taking advantage of this period of forced confinement indoors to dig through papers and work on my "to read" pile. Mind you that's more like archeology at this point than anything else. Progress is slow. Just established that the increased cost, per year, of insuring a new car is $400. At least it has no-depreciation coverage. And they would like to bribe me into paying $60/year for the privilege of guaranteeing that my premiums will not skyrocket if I have a single at-fault collision. I'm still trying to fathom why, on the third and fourth floor of a six-story building I'm paying for sewer-backup coverage.

This weather reminds me of one of my favourite quips at the expense of my customers, the Pentecostal Church; that I felt safe as long as they didn't commence a boat-building project in their East Parking Lot. They're the same people who weren't amused when my response, when asked what I thought of their Passion Play, was that after one and a half hours I didn't feel a 20 minute explanation was necessary. I fear they despaired for my soul but with Lutheran roots going back 400 years I had no desire to be "born again". Lutheran's believe, they don't get excited about it.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge