Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

The Nimbus Days of November.doc

Well, at least we don’t have to shovel it…yet.  November has been dismal; cold, dank, dark, brooding.  Unfortunately we can’t stamp the weather “Return to Sender”; as much as we’d like to.  Sure we public servants got Monday off in observance of Remembrance Day but the pile of mail that assailed us in the remaining four days this week makes one wander if it was truly worth it.  I continue to work on special projects but I’m well aware of what goes on in the trenches. 

 

At home I finally got ambitious enough to go shopping and picked up a set of fleece bed sheets and even got them washed and on the bed later this week.  The feel is luxurious.  Also put together a beef stroganoff and pronounced it good.  I’m still reading John Jakes Crown Family series having just gotten Pauli to the home of his uncle in Chicago, the story has finally begun to pick up.  Finished the second season of Numb3rs and just started watching the BBC series Planet Earth on DVD.  See my movie blog for details. 

 

As I slowly work my way toward a planned odyssey across North America after I retire I have set up a web page to record my travels:

 

http://grmailman.tripod.com/

 

Not much there but plans to date but keep tuned.  I’ve been exploring places to spend next winter and have settled on Austin Texas as a pleasant location to while away a few weeks at least.  Reading the Austin City Chronicle has peaked my interest.  Otherwise I don’t have much knowledge of the place except to observe that their weather is an improvement on ours at this time of year.  The Lake Travis area looks interesting as a place to park an RV. 

 

Adjusting to Windows Vista continues to be a challenge.  My latest misadventure has been the discovery that my laptop refuses to run Microsoft Streets and Trips—a major problem that, for one who plans to use it to aid his travels.  Ironic as both Vista and Trips are Microsoft Products. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge