Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Winter Arrives Early

Winter arrived mid-week amid the squealing of tires, the crunching of fenders, and a veritable demolition derby on our highways.  Bread and butter for tow-truck operators and auto-body shops; a nightmare for police services and commuters.  I went to work early Thursday expressly to avoid getting stuck behind someone with bald tires unable to make it up one of our hills.  My first act was to spread some salt on our walkways.  During the week there was much scurrying around to find winter clothing that had not been needed for at least the last year and a half due to the non-winter we enjoyed last season.  It has quickly become quite apparent that we are not to enjoy another sub-tropical winter.  We are not likely to find any hummingbirds during this year’s Christmas Bird Count. 

 

Finally made it to Future Shop to discuss the problems I’ve been having with Windows Vista and was given very little advice other than the standard wipe your disk and restore it to factory condition.  Apparently I didn’t go back far enough in attempting to restore my computer and the option no longer existed so I did end up reformatting my OS Drive and re-installing Vista.  Since Wednesday I’ve been spending my spare time at re-installing software.  The good news is that I have been successful in getting Streets and Trips to work.  I’m still attempting to get the New Yorker to run on Vista.  This morning I’ve been working at updating Windows, Office, and all the other support programmes needed to run other programmes and browse the web.  With all that software to install I haven’t even confronted the updates that will be required for my anti-virus programme; I find it wiser to do the other installs first to avoid conflicts.  It’s frightening just how many updates need to be installed on a brand new computer and the number of times it must be rebooted to accomplish this.  Of course it was expecting all these challenges that prompted me to buy my laptop almost a year before I’ll actually need it.  Now I have to hunt for all those software keys and unlock codes yet again. 

 

On Friday got invited to the home of one of our supervisors for a Lasagna Dinner.  You’d think when a group of supervisors got together they’d have better things to discuss than their fellow employees and in particular the worst behaved of their associates.  Except for the lack of a good dry wine to accompany dinner the food was excellent. 

 

Last evening I finally got around to screening Pan’s Labyrinth.  See my sister blog for a longer review but suffice it to say that declaring that this is not a fairy tale for children is an understatement. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge