Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Flin Flon to Brandon

After two days of idyllic wilderness camping in Prince Albert National Park I drove out to thank the gal who had given me such good advice.  Unfortunately she did not advise me that I was driving into an ice storm on the way to Flin Flon, Manitoba.  I’ll spare you the gruesome details, suffice to say I was thankful to take the advice of the gal in the tourist bureau and park in the town campground, closed or not, having safely arrived.  Next morning I awoke to a world of white.  After driving across to the local Wal-Mart and shopping at the adjoining food mart with some trepidation I cautiously set out on the road south.  It was a matter of not wanting to be driving and not being able to stay.  In Mid-May I had hoped winter driving would have been behind me.  Travelling at 50 in a 100 KM zone is not a pleasant way to go but safety required it.  At least few others were crazy enough to be on the highway.  It was not until I reached The Pas that I got out of the snow zone.  There I stopped for lunch at an internet cafĂ© where I was able to catch up after three days offline.  It was during the drive south I met up with Officer Stu Oman who gave me a line on the Thunder Hill Motel in Swan River where I was graciously allowed to park on their lot for the night. 

 

The next morning I got out of my RV and asked a local about breakfast.  I took his advice and drove across the highway to the small Inn where the locals congregate for breakfast.  The food was good but it was the waitress’s sunny disposition that lit up the place.  I was the kind of place where the locals helped themselves to coffee refills and offered to warm up anyone else who asked.  Thus fortified I set out eastwardly to head down into Riding Mountain National Park.  In spite of two coffees I was not all that bright.  From the north one traverses the width of the park before reaching the townsite on Clear Lake.  The organized campground was just opening for the season and at the Administration Centre brand new staff new little more about the park than I did, the visitors centre was not open nor was much else in town.  Tom, at the campground gate assured me the beach opens tomorrow—Clear Lake was frozen solid.  I appreciated his sardonic sense of humour.  Spent a quiet evening writing E-mail I couldn’t send and enjoyed a peaceful rest.  Next morning I braved the cold and availed myself of the first shower offered without the need to feed loonies into a coin machine before heading out south toward Brandon. 

 

Brandon Manitoba is known to me as the home of the violinist James Ehnes.  Alas it will stick in my mind and in my eye as I drive for the stone chip in my windshield I received a mile out of town.  First act was to get gas—at least it was 10¢ a litre cheaper than along the highway.  Next, since I stumbled on it I went shopping at Safeway.  You know you’re in a small town when strangers talk to you.  I met Josiah in the checkout line.  After a roundabout route found Turtle Crossing Campground where I paid the owner cash for three night’s rest.  Three nights in camp truly involves only 2 days in camp.  At least this campground enjoys good high-speed Wi-Fi and I used it to catch up the first night.  After sleeping in Sunday Morning I set about cleaning the crusted dust from my RV windows, getting my bike down from its rack and doing the usual household RV chores.  In the afternoon after I’d scrubbed my floors I took my bike for a spin around the park to ensure it still worked.  As I write this I should be putting it back in place so that I don’t have to do so in the rain tomorrow.  Tomorrow when I awake to rain I’ll be thankful I took the time to do so.  Last evening I started watching Paul Gross’s Passchendaele—he wrote, produced, directed and stars in it. 

 

After sleeping in again this morning I set to work at catching up on my blogging.  After lunch I disconnected my land line and set out to find Speedy Auto Glass and have me windshield repaired.  Found them, processed the paperwork and grabbed my computer while they worked their magic.  The blemish in my windshield has been softened and they guarantee it will not spread but the pit is still very visible—at least it isn’t in my field of view while I am driving.  On the way home visited Safeway again and found my way to Brandon’s Discovery Centre for tourist info.  Not every day, it would seem, can be filled with excitement and wonder.  Now I need to decide what I do and where I go from here. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge