Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Veging in Thunder Bay

What was Pepsi's original name?

 

The original name of Pepsi-Cola was Brad’s Drink.

 

Apparently I managed to miss Southern Ontario’s first Smog Alert of the year.  Somehow I don’t feel deprived.  Just discovered that Season 2 of Everwood is finally to be made available on DVD.  It aired in 2003-4 and the show was terminated in June of 2006 with Season 4—what’s taken them so long? 

 

I’m spending the weekend at the KOA Thunder Bay in the middle of nowhere east of town too close to a double grade along Hwy  17.  Since all indoor activities grind to a halt around here once it becomes warm enough to go outside I see no reason to stay past Monday.  I’m headed east toward Ouimet Canyon.

 

Highway 17 has to be one of the most isolated pieces of roadway I’ve travelled.  Hwy 11 may have 100’s of mile with no habitation but at least it’s more open.  Hwy 17 wends through swamp, bush, black spruce forest, and massive rock cuts followed by stretches of elevated highway.  At least the stretch from Dryden to Thunder Bay is recently paved; Hwy 102 into the city is a mess.  Plenty of construction and a lengthy wait at one point for a blasting operation. 

 

Friday was the first time I had to contend with insects on my windshield but it was the woodpecker that dive bombed it that startled me the most.  After running over a prairie chicken the day before I’m hoping I don’t meet up with anything bigger.  Plenty of deer around and for good reason I don’t brave meeting a moose at night.  I was just outside cleaning my windows. 

 

Dryden was a chance to stop for the night at a small campground that demanded payment in cash and offered a sodden camp site and no Wi-Fi.  When I drove into town to shop at the local IGA I was thankful I was west of the towering Domtar Plant that shadows the town. 

 

I had some good views of the Sleeping Giant on the way into town on Friday but I haven’t found anything to attract me to pull up stakes and drive into the city.  At one time or another I’ve toured almost all the touristy places around here. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge