Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Kenora Blues

No man ever listened himself out of a job.

Calvin Coolidge (1872 - 1933)

 

The above is for Joe—you know who you are!

 

Attempting to get around Kenora, Ontario frequently brings to mind that old adage:  You can’t get there from here.  Making an already difficult road system even more miserable is the fact that the main downtown intersection is closed due to sewer replacement construction.  The place is also overdue for a couple more traffic lights.  When I finally did find my way to the grocery store I discovered I needed a quarter I did not have to get a shopping cart—at that point I thought something unprintable and decided I’d do my shopping in another town on another day.  The fact that I’d just spent $4.50 extra on gas because the only place in town that could fill my propane tank had already increased the price of gas by 5¢ a litre probably did nothing to improve my mood. 

 

Kenora is typical small town.  People may bitch about traffic tie-ups but they’d complain even more if installing million dollar traffic lights made the mil rate go up and councillors do like getting re-elected.  Alas nature has not given the town an opportunity to present itself in its best light given freezing temperatures, clouds, rain and snow.  The place is best seen from the water, the best beach in town being on Coney Island, accessible only by boat.  On the way into town one is greeted by Husky the Muskie an oversized muskellunge that broods over the harbour area.  At every turn vistas of Lake of the Woods present themselves.  The town is justly proud of its well preserved heritage architecture and its 20-some wall-sized murals about town. 

 

As I write this I have completed most of the housekeeping items I needed to accomplish before my early morning departure tomorrow.  Seeing a cold front visibly approaching with a thunderstorm in tow I just went out to put my bicycle back up on its rack.  In front of the storm a broad-winged hawk patrols the sky.  Yesterday I took advantage of some morning sunshine to ride 10 miles west of town to Vernon Nature Area to walk their trails among the adjacent Red Pine/Balsam Fir and Buroak forests.  Again there’s a docking area for those in boats to visit and a boardwalk through the lake front wetlands near the Osprey platform.  I enjoyed my visit to Casey’s even if they were out of cod for fish and chips and my main course arrived before I’d properly started my bowl of soup.  Made it back just before the heavens opened.

 

When a seaplane isn’t taking off from the harbour area and the staff aren’t cutting the grass Anicinabe Campground is a serene place to relax.  Taking a shower when the outside temperature is just a bit above freezing in an unheated washroom is quite another experience.  There’s a lovely beach but the ice just came off the lake last week.  I’d have visited the bookstore downtown yesterday but it doesn’t open until 11:00 AM.  Lacking a boat bicycle or walking are definitely the preferred ways to get around town.  Parking meters are plunked everywhere.  For those so inclined there is a newly built Lake of the Woods Museum. 

 

One final entry.  I have received word that I will be spending my summer acting as Campground Host in the Province of Nova Scotia Campgrounds.  All that remains between me and that goal is an ocean of paperwork and appointments in Oakville before I head East. 

 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge