Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Back in Louisiana


Reality is nothing but a collective hunch.

Jane Wagner, Lily Tomlin in "The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe"

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

Umberto Eco (1932 - )

First a rant about roads and drivers:

The Devil invented concrete block highways on one of his more malicious days, I've also driven a grooved highway that made my tires whine and the vehicle vibrate. I can sympathize with the trucker who declared that if one attempted to leave the recommended 4 vehicle lengths from the car ahead on the Gardner an 18-wheeler would be driving backwards—leave the space and someone feels compelled to fill it. I'd love to have a special 'vaporize' button for the idiots who pull in front of one after passing and drive slower; and what's with the people who pull in front with a half-mile of clear road behind, then slam on the brakes to make an exit. Also love slow-pokes who speed up whenever there's a passing lane. Have you ever wished you could push? Being caught behind two 60 ft tractor trailers attempting to pass is tedious. Somehow things improved once I got into Louisiana today but I was beginning to wonder since I entered New York State and began heading south, then west of I-20 if anyone paid any attention to posted Speed Limits; I know this is the land of the free but even freedom has limits. I was not impressed when someone with a small trailer dropped a load of brush in the middle of my lane, just thankful I didn't get rear-ended when I made the panic stop.

Unimpressed with my temporary home in Mississippi I decided to pass up on touring Civil War Sites in Vicksburg and hit the road. With today's hop that makes over 500 miles in two days. As I was getting unplugged to leave Vicksburg two small birds flew in my open motorhome door and had to be encouraged to leave. They were more frightened than I but I must say this is a first. Immediately out of Vicksburg almost as I entered I-20 the highway crosses the Mississippi River into Louisiana. The Welcome Centre was 8 miles down the road; as with most such centres I've visited the staff were efficient but hardly friendly. I stopped to shop at the 'evil empire' as it was the only place I noticed on my way to Tall Pines Campground, apparently I missed the nearby Krogers.


Sometimes one just recognizes immediately that one has made the right choice. Tall Pines RV Park was such a choice. A family-run business the coffee is free and the service attentive. I had no reservations in making a two day stand. A tour of their campground store proved I'm back in Cajun Country. Featured in pride of place were Tabasco Gift Sets but what really caught my eye was a gallon bottle of Habanera Sauce—used I'm told for tail-gate parties for making wings. I passed the stadium on my way in and remember being thankful there wasn't a game on.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge