Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Highway Lag

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

Pity the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

Don Marquis (1878 - 1937)

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

P. J. O'Rourke (1947 - )

Ever notice how the people who are quoted in these witty sayings are almost always dead, it's as if your opinions aren't worth anything if you're still living or you can't be held accountable for them or change your mind if you're beyond the pale.

The Mother-In-Law Joke

Fresh out of gift ideas, a man buys his mother-in-law a large plot in an expensive cemetery. On her next birthday, he buys her nothing, so she lets him have it.

"What are you complaining about?" he fires back. "You haven't used the present I gave you last year."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In just over 3 weeks I've driven over 2000 miles and passed through 4 time zones moving from Atlantic Daylight Saving Time to Central Standard Time. There's a reason I'm up at 3:30 AM in the morning. Outside my window a Confederate Flag is flying, I'm definitely south of the Mason Dixon Line. Wasted a couple hours yesterday trying to read my comix. The clue that the problem wasn't mine came when I attempted to reset my password and the server, upon my attempt to activate the new password declared there was no record of my request. It was a couple hours later I finally attempted again and got a message that their servers were down. I'd have had my E-mail read by now but for that debacle. Doesn't seem to take long to get 100 backed up. This morning, November 8th, the Ultra-Pasteurized Cream I bought at ACME in Cape May turned sour in my coffee 3 weeks before it was supposed to but the milk I bought the same day is still good 6 days past its due date. Suppose my name really is Wile E. Coyote. The convenience store here in the park is open from 5:00 AM for their gas bar but alas they don't stock cream. The forecast predicts rain tomorrow and on cue the heavens this morning resemble the kind of stratus clouds in the Maritimes we'd term a mackerel sky. Guess I stand to be driving in the rain tomorrow.

The temperature is back in the 70ies again at noon Sunday. I'm definitely not in "Kansas" any more. As last year when I headed south it seems strange to be seeing it get dark at 4:30 in the afternoon when it's been so warm all day. This is not the tropics, mind you so it still gets cool at night but no frost so far. Tomorrow I plan a long drive through the city of Birmingham and on to Vicksburg, Mississippi to camp at a place called Magnolia RV Park. Once again this year I am scandalized at how many decades the South is behind the rest of the continent in terms of recycling and bottle deposits and returns—no such program exists here—it comes hard to have to throw beer bottles into the garbage but I don't have the room to carry them around for 6 months until I'm back in Canada. Here is Pell City on Logan Martin Lake in Alabama. Decided to spend the weekend here before driving further however already I'm making commitments for next week in Austin.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge