Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Monday, February 15, 2010

February Blahs

My readers have commented on the lack of recent personal entries. This groundhog saw his shadow on the second and crawled back in for more hibernation. Even my journal has been neglected. There are only so many ways one can say: I got up, browsed the web, got meals, read, and looked out at another day of cold and rain. Were it not for walking up to the campground laundry and shower rooms I wouldn’t get exercise some days.

In January I walked the half mile to the Long Centre in a cloud burst to see the Austin Symphony. Believe I wrote a concert review. My electric bike, not happy with getting wet, has barely been out from under its tarp in a month.

It finally stopped raining for a few days on Friday and while I was out taking my tri-weekly stroll I stopped at the Zach Theatre and picked up tickets for that night’s Vaudville style show titled the Flaming Idiots. Definitely not highbrow but good for a laugh. Once a showman, always a showman and the trio of jugglers who have a decade on me still have it. They even make fun of the fact that they sometimes drop things and are no longer the ripped studs they were in their youth. When the sun came out at last on Saturday i got out the bike, charged up its battery and rode down to the bank to get cash for my campground rent.

Emboldened by the success of that ride I got up early Sunday and biked up the quiet weekend streets the 8 miles to church. I was the first choir member to arrive. The thermometer was near freezing and the wind in my face for the uphill bike in; on my way home I had to peel a few layers and although downhill, the ride home was again against the wind. What’s up with that.

?????????????????????????????????????????

And these just because:

What makes a bookkeeper unique?

The word "bookkeeper" is the only word in the English language with three, back-to-back double letter combinations.

The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog. You’ve seen it a thousand times, but what does it mean? Is it a clever bit of poetry, or a famous quote? No, it’s a pangram, a word that uses each letter of the English alphabet.

Never judge a book by its movie.
J. W. Eagan

An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do.
Dylan Thomas (1914 - 1953)

Drive-in banks were established so most of the cars today could see their real owners.
E. Joseph Cossman

The shortest distance between two points is under construction.
Noelie Altito

Alas, the Orient Express made it’s last run over a month ago. Another icon slips into history.

Reality continues to ruin my life.
Bill Watterson (1958 - ), Calvin and Hobbes

Lewis Carroll wrote 97,000 letters during his lifetime.

California School tries to ban Webster's Dictionary because it defines oral sex! Will the Bible be next?

City of Toronto Mayoral candidate loses out when his philandering past comes to light. Thirty-two year-old Adam Giambrone gave up his bid to get elected when the scandal broke.

Was Michael Jackson's death assisted suicide?

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge