Born on a mixed subsistence farm in rural Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Moved to Ontario in 1967 to attend University at what was then Waterloo Lutheran University and moved to Oakville, Ontario in 1971. Without intending to live up to the name became a letter carrier the following January and have worked for Canada Post ever since. I retired in August of 2008.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Kill or Cure

My asthma finally reached critical mass yesterday. That point at which the known side-effects of treatment are likely to be exceeded by the symptoms of the disease. I’ve been breaking out in a cough every time I try to laugh for some time but it was when I started wheezing while I went for a walk yesterday and had to slow down to catch my breath that the die was cast.

The treatment in question is 5 mg of generic Reactine, a drug I have not taken in over a year. This anti-histamine is claimed not to cause drowsiness but it still bears the do not operate heavy equipment caution. Best taken an hour or so before betime the side-effects kick in shortly after ingestion. Protestations aside the eyelids start getting heavy about an hour later and within two hours impromptu naps seem inescapable. For good reason all over the counter sleep medications are actually anti-histamines. Anti-histamines effect the endocrine system causing the system to dry out. They also serve to prevent sweating, dangerous if you’re out in hot weather.

Sleepiness aside one can soon feel one’s lips getting dry and this morning I had to wash my eyelashes to get my eyelids open. Did I mention the other major side-effect is depression? The drug damps down metabolism making the user feel fatigued and dopey. On the other hand it takes at least two weeks before the benefits of treatment kick in. If one survives the doldrums in between one may come out the other side feeling better. Alcohol tends to increase symptoms exponentially. Dare I indulge in $2 pints today? Fortunately my favourite pub is a short walk from my RV.

Don’t you hate it when the weatherman gets it right. Sunday saw highs in the mid 70ies. Today won’t get out fo the 30ies and the promised sleet and rain have arrived on cue. Opening my curtains today is an exercise in proving to the neighbours that I’m alive to do so; it did not increase the lighting level and served to let in the cold so I closed them again. One begins to believe that hibernating groundhog may have had it right afterall.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Facebook Badge

Garth Mailman

Create Your Badge